Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rebuilding a 327 engine and plan to go with a 700R instead of the th350 it currently has. Can I install that transmission from below once the engine is in or is that something that needs to go together first and drop in as one unit? I only ask because of how difficult it was removing the 350 top bell housing bolts from underneath. I ended up removing the intake for another reason and loosen the top bellhousing bolts from the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 SS
1,153 Posts
You should be able to drop or install a 700 without having to remove the intake. On my 63 it was done twice….but it is a real PIA with those top bolts. It also helped that I have thin hands and long fingers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You should be able to drop or install a 700 without having to remove the intake. On my 63 it was done twice….but it is a real PIA with those top bolts. It also helped that I have thin hands and long fingers.
I did my 700 twice from the bottom. I have a super long 3/8 extension (like 3-4 foot) and a wobbly socket to loosen them, then I finish running them out with a long 1/4 drive extension and wobble socket. Not a big deal.
Good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I always drop the engine in first then install the transmission from underneath after if I'm doing a full engine/trans swap. I watch those shows where 6 people are muscling an engine and trans in at the same time and want to throw my CL at the TV. I could do it twice my way (alone) in the time it takes 6 of them yelling at each other. You should not have to remove the intake, the top 2 bolts are a pain but they squeeze in, just takes patience.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Make sure you install the torque converter correctly. If you don't and tighten the bellhousing you'll destroy the front pump. As I remember the bolt lugs on the converter should be 1 inch below the face of the bellhousing. Look it up though to be sure. Add one quart to the converter.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
You will need a special crossmember and I think shorten the driveshaft. Install the cooler lies on the trany before installation. Very tight fit right there

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When I ever run into tight fits I cut the firewall, transmission tunnel or floorboard to make it much easier on me.
I cut just enough to be able to freely work the areas I need to work, not hack the heck out of the area.
After I'm done I'll reattach the panels with some kind of clip or large rivets.
The manufacture did this on many muscle cars over the years.
You known that eventually you are going to have to access that area again, might as well make it as easy as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
When I ever run into tight fits I cut the firewall, transmission tunnel or floorboard to make it much easier on me.
I cut just enough to be able to freely work the areas I need to work, not hack the heck out of the area.
After I'm done I'll reattach the panels with some kind of clip or large rivets.
The manufacture did this on many muscle cars over the years.
You known that eventually you are going to have to access that area again, might as well make it as easy as possible.
agree. We tend to call them access panels later. Could seam seal them if desired. Kinda similar to sheet rock. 🤷‍♂️🤣🤦🏼‍♂️

Reactions: taters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts