Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Nova had Wilwood disc brakes all around. The front rotors were warped and Wilwood told me they were obsolete and rotors were not available and I needed to buy a complete new kit. So this made me unhappy so I bought a new Strange disc brake kit. A very nice kit, easy to install and seem to be a high quality. The best part is the Wilwoods always have alot of drag like the calipers don't totally retract. The Strange brakes spin freely. A nice product, worth a look if your in the market for aftermarket brakes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think that "drag" you're mentioning is typically when the piston installation isn't exactly up to par. It has a rubber seal which is also the retraction "spring" that pulls the piston back into the caliper.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that "drag" you're mentioning is typically when the piston installation isn't exactly up to par. It has a rubber seal which is also the retraction "spring" that pulls the piston back into the caliper.
Their rubber seal Wilwood uses is actually a square O ring style seal. I've used their brakes for 25 yrs and rebuilt the calipers on quite a few cars and they always drag in every car I've worked on. In any case the Strange doesn't drag.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
The rubber seal is just for dirt and debris and does nothing to pull the piston back.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I think he ment the inner seal, not the dust boot.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only seal I've ever seen on any after market drag race caliper is the piston seal. Never seen a dust boot like factory brakes use. We use to run the wide Wilwood rotors and calipers on the late model dirt cars and they also never used a dirt seal, just the piston seal. These type brakes are not maintenance free and require a little service from time to time.
Some mfgs use a O ring, others use a square edged O type seal like Wilwood uses. Some retract better than others.

·
Registered
315 Posts
very cool video, I did not know that.

Thats a nice looking Strange brake setup allright, and nice job on the crossmember. motor plate looks cool as well.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Joe, those are the same brakes we've run on the front for three years and they are still going strong, they are a good piece. I've got a brand new set of carbon front brakes sitting in the box I've been thinking of throwing on but just haven't gotten around to it. We run carbons on the rear and they REALLY made a huge improvement on braking. The hotter they get the more they grab so it takes a little different feel and awareness of how to use them but I'm a firm believer after Yvonne has had to make a couple aggressive stops.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the dual piston Strange brakes on the front of the 5.30 Nova, they came with the Strange Strut kit. They have been great since about 2003 when I put the struts on. I replaced the pads once but other than cleaning them up I've done nothing. You see Wilwoods everywhere and the Strange stuff is seldom seen but is a good item few seem to know about. That's why I posted this.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
very cool video, I did not know that.

Thats a nice looking Strange brake setup allright, and nice job on the crossmember. motor plate looks cool as well.

Thanks, The mid plate makes some jobs alot easier and others harder.....LOL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Your post reminded me of when my dad switched to Strange brakes years ago. He was excited about the zero drag concept. The "strange" part was that somehow he buggered something up on the install (and I have no idea what he did wrong, he was too embarrased to say), but they also had zero drag at the end of the track. As in zero brakes. He drove off the end of the track at Ashcroft, down a hill and was stopped by a rancher's fence. Dad was fine and the car had a few scratches but he never did live that one down.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your post reminded me of when my dad switched to Strange brakes years ago. He was excited about the zero drag concept. The "strange" part was that somehow he buggered something up on the install (and I have no idea what he did wrong, he was too embarrased to say), but they also had zero drag at the end of the track. As in zero brakes. He drove off the end of the track at Ashcroft, down a hill and was stopped by a rancher's fence. Dad was fine and the car had a few scratches but he never did live that one down.

Chris.
I guess he didn't check them prior to needing them? Always check the brakes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess he didn't check them prior to needing them? Always check the brakes.
To be honest I don't know how thoroughly he checked. Obviously not thoroughly enough. I can't imagine that he didn't even test them though.

I'm going to study your pictures for ideas. I've yet to route the brakelines on my car and it's nice to see what others have done. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My old Nova had Wilwood disc brakes all around. The front rotors were warped and Wilwood told me they were obsolete and rotors were not available and I needed to buy a complete new kit. So this made me unhappy.
THIS is the VERY reason WHY I don't run aftermarket brakes and don't recomend them. Especially for a car that is actually driven on a regular basis. Its called planned obsolecence and its all about ensuring a continous revenue stream for companies. I'm not knocking the quality of their product and have heard they are good brakes..BUT it makes you wonder why, if they were so awsome, that they are discontinued and obsolete now. So instead of just getting, in this case ordering, new rotors that commonly wear out from actual use, you HAVE to spend more money and buy a complete new kit to replace things that didn't need replacing to begin with. I ask this: Is that Strange kit or service parts for it going to be avaliable in say several years or so when you need to replace a wear item like a rotor or even brake pads? I'm sure these aftermarket brake kits are great and work well. But I wonder if anyone ever considers the need for service parts in the future for these kits. I personally prefer the factory stuff for this very reason. If I need a brake part and know the original application, I can usually get what I need locally from any choice of auto parts stores reguardless of where I am in the country with minimal down/wait time. I do hope you got your car fixed and are now happy though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts