Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of threads about installing headers on a 396 Nova.Mine is a 70 L78 Auto with a column shifter. I was just getting ready to order when I saw an add for for Dougs Headers in my area. The owner was asking $190 so I sent him an email. He got right back to me and said he would give me a great deal if I came that day. Deal ? These were D313 headers that were ceramic coated. When I got there I was expecting them to be a little rough.They were mint except for some scrapes on the bottom. I got them for $175 and sang Christmas Carols all the way home ;)

I put them on last weekend. The passenger side fell right in after removing the starter. I knew the the drivers side would be harder. This car is dead stock so it had the right BBC motor mounts and frame towers. I was worried about the pipes clearing the power steering box,but they cleared after I removed the oil filter and pulled the motor mount bolt and lifted the motor about 3". I also removed the small bracket on the back of the power steering reservoir. Every thing looks good except these headers are low and hang about 2 1/2" below the floor. Dougs are noted for being low. My front end is lowered 2" so we will see what happens in the spring. Maybe some 28" front tires. I run 2 original Corvair Spyder mufflers, so it should be interesting to hear what it sounds like. Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have read a lot of threads about installing headers on a 396 Nova.Mine is a 70 L78 Auto with a column shifter. I was just getting ready to order when I saw an add for for Dougs Headers in my area. The owner was asking $190 so I sent him an email. He got right back to me and said he would give me a great deal if I came that day. Deal ? These were D313 headers that were ceramic coated. When I got there I was expecting them to be a little rough.They were mint except for some scrapes on the bottom. I got them for $175 and sang Christmas Carols all the way home ;)

I put them on last weekend. The passenger side fell right in after removing the starter. I knew the the drivers side would be harder. This car is dead stock so it had the right BBC motor mounts and frame towers. I was worried about the pipes clearing the power steering box,but they cleared after I removed the oil filter and pulled the motor mount bolt and lifted the motor about 3". I also removed the small bracket on the back of the power steering reservoir. Every thing looks good except these headers are low and hang about 2 1/2" below the floor. Dougs are noted for being low. My front end is lowered 2" so we will see what happens in the spring. Maybe some 28" front tires. I run 2 original Corvair Spyder mufflers, so it should be interesting to hear what it sounds like. Cheers.
Yes please do a video of the exhaust sound. I have the L79 327 with Dougs Tri-Y headers. I was thinking 2.5 inch all the way back with Dynomax turbo which are supposed to be the copy of the corvair. But I would like to hear a true turbo muffler sound. Mine won't be running till at least spring also. Did you find the mufflers years ago?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
L79nova.......i see your asking about mufflers. i have a L-30 327 in my 66 an i run these mufflers. i never hear anyone say an thing of this brand of muffler. they sound nice. also i run a 2 1/2'' system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mufflers came on my car when I bought it last September. The owner restored the car 10 years ago and had been collecting parts before then. Head pipes are 2 1/2" with a H pipe and tail pipes are 2 1/4". There are no mandrel bends. ? The headers have 1 3/4" primaries. This car is very quiet for a L78. This is the 5th L78 I have owned and this is the quietest of them all. The car also has the dual snorkel air cleaner which also cuts down on the sound. This car is dead stock with the original L78 cam and the compression is lowered to 10.1. I'm still trying to figure out the ET slips I found in the glove box.that say it ran 13.1.:unsure::giggle: It has a 3:42 gears. The previous owner told me the car had lots of wheel hop at the track with regular street tires.

I think no one talks about these mufflers any more is because they have been unavailable for over 10 years.The original Turbo Mufflers from the Corvair were almost round and wouldn't fit a lot of cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the stock linkage for the column shiftier and it went right on NP. I heard this was a problem for a lot of headers.If anyone ever has a problem there are adjustable linkage kits you can buy. There are a number of different designs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts