Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I want to lower my 74 Nova custom a tad and will opt for drop blocks. My leaf springs are new so I do not want to get new ones.

I want to drop it 1" so will buy 1" drop blocks. Planning for the install I was looking at my leaf springs trying to imagine how the block is supposed to be positioned.

Heres a shot of my setup currently and my thoughts.

I see that theres a plate welded to the axel and it does a loopdedo around the top of the leafspring.
I am assuming that the drop block goes above leafspring under the welded plate thet does the loopdedo.

Now imagining it, the loopdedo plate will now sit one inch higher than the leafspring with the block inbetween but also the bottom part of the loopdedo plate will sit higher than the lower plate (shock mount) and leave a gap.

So my questions are
1. am I right on the block placement?
2. What do I do to fill the gap; necessary?

And finally I would like to see pics of other 3rd gens (68-74) with their drop block placement/setup (if possible). The pics would answer alot of questions.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,
Just a thought... have you put a full tank of gas in the car yet?? Might make a difference.
Andy
LOL. No I never had a full tank of gas in the car. I probably have 1/8 - 1/4 tank of fuel in there.

That could very well be my solution along with getting a spare tire:rotfl: Definately save some $$$ and hassling with removing what the facry did.

But just in case I would still like to see pics.

Install a stereo. Amazing how a couple of 12s in the back will lower things. :D
Another great idea. I did not think about the weight in the trunk as my lowering method haha

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's only 131.25#. I weigh twice that. Throw me in the trunk and be done with it. Just feed me twice a day...
haha yep at 72 degrees.
A gallon of gasoline weighs approximately 6.25 lbs at 72 degrees. In cooler temperatures, it weighs a bit more, and in warmer temperatures a bit less.
I can't beleive no one can provide a picture of their drop block setup. I know there has to be someone that has used drop blocks for their 3rd gen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts