Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and install these two items. First the Competition Engineering Subframe Connectors. I had to greatly lengthen the slots for the front body mount in order to get the spring eye bracket bolt holes to line up. I also enlarged the smaller mounting hole and ground some other areas to clear the bolt head for the spring eyes on both connectors.

I prepped and repainted the passenger side leaf spring and installed the Caltracs and Subframe Connector but absolutely could not get the inner bolt on the spring bracket to line up with the Subframe connector. I stuggled with this for a long time but called it a day with only two of the three eye bracket bolts installed and suspecting I had damaged the one cage nut in the process.

Next day I decided to work on the driver side. With the same modifications to the connector and painted leaf springs, I got smart this time and installed the inner bolt for the eye bracket first. This is the one bolt on the eye bracket that is not slotted and while wiggling the assembly I was able to get the inner bolt started. The rest of the driver side went together without issue. I resigned myself at that point to disassemble the passenger side again to use this technique out.

Now I will talk about the CalTracs installation, first getting the aluminum bushings pressed into the spring eyes. Someone on this forum posted an excellent pictorial (sorry I forget who). He installed the bushings using a soft blow hammer to tap them in. HHAA! I ended up using a long bolt with a nut and washers to press the bushings in. I lubed the bushing to make it go in easier but still it was a really tight fit. The gap in the eye expanded better then a 1/16 by the time I got the bushings in and I was wore out at that point! My Nova came original with a rear sway bar and the spring perch brackets are wider to accommodate mounting the ends of the sway bar. The new CalTracs bracket does not have this provision (or the hole to mount the E-brake cable guide) and so I had to leave them disconnected. The rest of the Caltracs install went well.

Back to he passenger side. I completely unbolted the leaf spring again and tried to get that one inner bolt threaded first, It was not to be. I finally noticed that the eye bracket was hitting the front of the SF conn. and that was keeping the one non-slotted hole from lining up. I pulled out the SF conn. and ground the area that was interfering. When I put the connector back in, I found I had not ground enough out. The spot that is interfering is right where the connector is angled and I determine I will have to grind completely through the corner to eliminate this interference. I had had enough for one day, I pulled the connector out and bolted the eye bracket with Caltracs back together!

Now for the fun part, I adjusted the CalTracs and went for a test drive. The first time I jumped on it I got a bit scared as I thought I had broke something. There was a kick in the pants I had never experienced before, but with that an faster sense of acceleration! The CalTracs made a big difference and were well worth the install. I do feel a lot more body role in back now without the sway bar and that will have to be resolved. I also will regrind the passenger side connector and attempt to reinstall it some time in the future.

OK that is it, hope you made it this far and sorry for the lengthy post!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
subframe connectors.

do you have any pics u can post of your installed subframe connectors.id like to buy some soon but am unsure of the brand to buy....a pic or two of your car from a side view would certainly help!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I put the CE subframe connectors in mine a few months back and I also had put them on my last 71 Nova. :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you have any pics u can post of your installed subframe connectors.id like to buy some soon but am unsure of the brand to buy....a pic or two of your car from a side view would certainly help!
No I did not take any pictures of the install. It's on the list to readjust the CalTracs an when I do I will take pictures then. It will prolly be a while though .....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts