Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 75-79 Nova radiator overflow in the mail the other day, found one on Ebay and bought it. Anyone else running this on their car?

I have a 72 Nova and it fits pretty good, but I couldn't fit the tab into the inner part of the fender. It seemed like if I did that, the hose would not be able to fit onto the overflow since it would be pointing directly into the inner fender.

So I mounted it with the tab on the outer part of the fender and used some washers to ensure a good ground for my battery still. Checked it and the car starts up fine, no funny lights come on, etc. The bummer part was when I unhooked and rehooked my battery back up, I must have did something wrong because now my fuel gauge quit working. The ground went out on it since it went all the way to the FULL mark. Haven't touched the tank, so it must be related to when I unhooked the battery ground or something.

I put the ground setup back to original without all the washers and stuff by the radiator overflow, and it still didnt work. Maybe I blew a fuse or something?

Anyway, other than that little hiccup, the setup works really nice. I routed the hose from my radiator over to the overflow, and the overflow is way out of the way tucked up in the fender. Now I should be able to head up to the track later this summer and not have to worry about that part in the tech line.

I wanted to get a new one, but Classic Industries said that part is still in the tooling process, and it could be 6-12 months before it is available. The only place I could find one was on Ebay, and there was only one listed on there to begin with. Looks good though and I'm happy with it, no more dripping anti-freeze on my garage floor when I get back from cruising now!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked for you.

Could you post some pics of your installation? I need to install an overflow on my '72 as well. I've seen some pics of people installing the overflow under the fender, but what is it mounted to? Also, is the overflow fully functional that will return the coolant once it has cooled, or is it just a catch basin?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can try to take some pics tomorrow when I'm out in the garage for you. Do you know how to post photos here in a thread? If not, I'll just post them in my album and you can check them out there.

First of all, if you dont already have a 75-79 overflow, they are a pain to locate, at least it was for me. Classic Industries supposedly makes reproduction ones of these. However, when I called them last week, they said that part is currently in the "tooling" stage, meaning it wont be ready for at least 6 months. No good to me now, so I had to find a used one.

Found one on Ebay, kind of beat up, but didn't leak, but the mounting tab was cracked. I bought it anyway, cleaned it up good, and mounted it by using some large flat washers that help spread the pressure out onto the rest of the mounting tab. Seems to be working ok for now.

As far as mounting location goes. Check your passenger side fender, just past the battery. Your battery ground should be routed to a hole there on your fender and you should have a bolt there going through that securing the ground against the fender. Thats where you mount the overflow can to. The can itself sits back behind the battery and up under the fender, right behind all the headlight stuff. Its pretty slick really, good design.

The line that runs from the radiator to the can goes to the top, but it feeds the coolant down an inner tube inside the can to the bottom of the can, so it can pull it back in. At the very top in the corner is another tube that goes outside of the can that vents it in case it fills up and overfills. Its a pretty good design from what I can tell. The best part is, its way out of the way, doesnt look stupid, looks stock, and you dont have to drill holes and stuff for a universal one.

The issue I had with the fuel gauge grounding fixed itself, I must have just had a bad ground one time when I last hooked up the battery. Today when I was messing around under the hood I disconnected and reconnected the battery and now the gauge works again, haha!

I'll try to get some pics up soon for you though. Hope that helps a little!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Overflow can

Hi,
I picked one of those up at the Pickyourpart but couldn't seem to make it fit right. Was it a pain to install? Mine is a little different as it's a 73 Omega.
Rick

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I wasn't able to get the pics like I planned, did more visiting than I thought we would on Memorial Day, got back late, etc. I'll see if I can get out in the garage today after work/dinner, etc.

Yes it was sort of a pain to fit in there. Its definitely a tight fit. I ended up removing my battery and battery tray to make enough room to jam it in there. Even with that stuff removed, I could not get the tab to fit behind the fender which is how I believe it was intended to be installed. But it seemed like if I did get the tab behind the fender, then the part the hose hooks up to would be pointing directly at the inner fenderwell. Not sure how I'd hook the hose up to it then.

So what I did was mount it with the tab on the outside of the fender, or in the engine bay area. I removed the battery ground wire and bolt that was screwed into the fender, grabbed a few extra washers from my stash, and put it all back together that way. This way it angled the can out a little bit, just enough for me to fit the overflow hose on from the radiator. Hope that makes sense in words, pics wouuld be better I know.

But I agree, it was not a very easy fit. I had to sort of jam it around into that area in the fender. It comes pretty close to my headlight wiring too. But after I mounted it, I put the battery tray back, hooked up the battery, and everything fit back just fine. It looks good too since its out of the way and tucked up under the fender.

I'll see if I can get some pics later. There is another thread on here that has a couple guys' photos of their car with this can installed. I think its called "lets' see your radiator overflow cans" or something like that. One guy on there has a decent pic of his.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to take some photos earlier today but looks like you guys beat me to it. Mine is pretty much the same way as their's above. Its a tight fit, but it works.

I was going to get a universal one from Summit but when I found out about this one, I wanted to get this one instead since it was way out of the way and mounted to a stock location.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for all the pics guys. Now I have to find an overflow unit of my own. I almost bought one of the universal ones as well, but I was going to have to mount it on the other side of the radiator and then run hose all the way underneath the radiator...not exactly what I wanted to do. As you all have said, it looks clean and out of the way. On to finding one of these....

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can give Classic Industries a shot. I just called them two weeks ago though and they said they did not have that part in stock, it was still in the tooling process, wouldn't be available for at least 6 months. I could have spoke to someone who didn't know what they were doing or something though too.

Give them a call, see if they have that part. Otherwise if not, you'll have to look on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. to see if someone has a used one available. I posted a want ad on here but no one responded, so I found one on Ebay and jumped on it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
I use my washer bottle in original location for my overflow. My cars never puke, but just in case at the track you have to have one. :yes::D:yes:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walkerjay, my overflow bottle looks similar to ALLT4's above. I had to remove the battery and battery tray to get it up under the fender. It fits good, just kind of a PITA to get in there.

I think a few guys on here were able to get it in there without removing the battery tray, so you could try doing that first to try and save a step.

My ground wires are all pretty good and the fender/connections are all clean. Didn't have any issues hooking that stuff back up. I think I was able to use the same bolt too for the grounds to hook the overflow to.

I dont notice my radiator puking either, but I needed something to be legal for the dragstrip. I was going to get a universal one, but I liked how these looked stock and fit out of the way and stuff.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe the 73-74 overflow can actually mounts off of the top of the inner fender on the passenger side and is a completely different design than the 75-79 overflow. I have the 73-74 at home and took it off because I didnt like it on my inner fender. Unless I have these things mixed up with the years or something.

Either one will work, just a matter of preference.

I agree, removing the battery tray is not a big deal, some have been able to get it in without removing it, while myself I had to take it out. Added about 5 minutes to the job, haha!

Good luck man!

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
The 4th gen battery tray had a heavy piece of silicone rubber attached to the passenger side of the battery tray to prevent the metal from wearing a hole in the reservoir. Regular rubber hose will help but eventually wear the plastic.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe the 73-74 overflow can actually mounts off of the top of the inner fender on the passenger side and is a completely different design than the 75-79 overflow. I have the 73-74 at home and took it off because I didnt like it on my inner fender. Unless I have these things mixed up with the years or something.

Either one will work, just a matter of preference.

I agree, removing the battery tray is not a big deal, some have been able to get it in without removing it, while myself I had to take it out. Added about 5 minutes to the job, haha!

Good luck man!
My 73 never came with an overflow ... I used one from a 77 Ventura.

Nicely tucked away beside the battery and under the fender.

As mentioned above ... very easy to install and removing the battery tray will only speed up the install.

My 74 Omega came with the fender bottle ... which I find kinda bulky. Haven't decided whether to leave it or convert to a 75-79 style bottle or not yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts