Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to just install a new diff. like a Detriot TrueTrac and I didn't want to change my gears, would the install be significantly easier than new gears? Could I do it on my own?

I wouldn't have to take out the pinion then right? and wouldn't have to mess with crush washers or gear mesh patterns? Would I still need new axle bearings etc? How big a deal is it to install axle bearings?

Oh and most 8.5 inch trutrac diff. say they use 30-spline axles. But then when I look at axles in the catalog, all the 8.5 10-bolt axles say 28 spline. I notice 12-bolt axles are 30 spline....is that what you would use in a 10-bolt with a 30-spline carrier?

I have an 8.5in 10-bolt with 3.08 gears. Just thinking ahead thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

You'll still need the new bearings if you use your ring and pinion...It's not difficult. The only hard part will be to make sure your ring is in the same place as the old one, so when you're going down the road it's not howling at you.

Jason

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even if I put the shims back I'm not gauranteed the gears will mesh like before?

I've got my axle off my car and I'm about to be unemployed and I was ready to bolt it up, but then I got to thinkin...with my new time...I could probably install a new differential before I bolt it up and it would be easier off the car.

So would i need to buy new axles too?

·
4,542 Posts
No it's not as har.d as setting up new gears. What you will need to do is get a backlash reading w/a dial indicator before you take apart the diff. Then when setting it back up all you have to do is set the gears back to the same backlash setting. If you get a 30 spline unit you will need to get the 12 bolt (30 Spline) axles just make sure they are the same length as the current ones. You can borrow the tool to remove axle bearings & seals at Pepboys or autozone just have toleave a refundable deposit of $20.

Miles:D

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
JBimmolate said:
You can borrow the tool to remove axle bearings & seals
Miles:D
Tool?? It's not supposed to be done with a big screwdriver??:confused:

Randy (will get the tool next time!):rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts