Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up fellas need your professional help, how to install timing tape on balancer with no marks..

P.s when doing timing, vacuum line is disconnected and plugged , but is the other end on the dizzy plugged also or left open

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
with the engine at TDC you can install a pointer and then install the tape with the zero at the mark on the pointer as TDC/0°.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the engine at TDC you can install a pointer and then install the tape with the zero at the mark on the pointer as TDC/0°.
Okay and since I have a timing tab "0" is in the middle of the tab, I would find TDC on cylinder no. 1 and place "0" from the timing tape where the "0" on my timing tab is Correct?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Okay and since I have a timing tab "0" is in the middle of the tab, I would find TDC on cylinder no. 1 and place "0" from the timing tape where the "0" on my timing tab is Correct?
Correct! Just make sure your timing tape is for the right size balancer.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if the outer ring on the balancer has slipped then the unit needs replacing.

you can mark the inner & outer components and see if the locations change... the TDC mark shouldn't ever change. although when viewing the mark with your timing light, RPM changes will make the mark appear to move... but it's not...

post up some pics of what you're working on. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get a piston stop to verify true TDC on your number 1 cylinder, once you have true TDC marked on the balancer, line up the zero mark on the tape with your TDC mark. Takes the guesswork out of it, and it will only run you $7-10. You can google piston stop to find out how to use it. There are several YouTube videos out there. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got what was needed , found tdc installed the tape and I set the timing at 8 and turned the air fuel mixture screws on the carb all the way in, then 2.5 out for both .. I set the idle at 600 ..
The car sounds great it's actually kinda quiet tho, it has stock duals on it exiting behind tire.. Turns on fine

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Cool sounds good, so 34 total timing, also is 8 degrees okay or should i go to 10 degrees
if you move it to 10* it ll move your total up to 34*...what rpm is your total timing coming in at?is your carb plugged when doing this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts