Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked around a little found nothing so thought I'd ask.

Got my engine back from the shop and installed a few extra ponies. Is it possible to install a SBC with headers (hooker super comp) and tranny (th350) while stuffing it into a 1st gen engine bay?

I've done the install a bunch of times with engine and tranny but no headers. Never even thought to look if I could.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep stock engine bay

I think the problem is the shock towers and the header collectors, looking to wide to clear.

Probably just go back to sliding in the engine tranny combo and install headers/plugs while I have the combo slightly suspended on the lift..... header install this way is easy, plugs (# 3,5,4,6) still require hands the size of an 11 year old but it's better than using a 5 year old once fully installed

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
I have a 67 Nova and put a small block Chevrolet with hooker super comps in

a stock engine bay...no problem. passenger side will go in from the bottom and

the drivers side will go in from the top while putting engine in. If you already

have engine in then from the bottom if you jack up the drivers side so collector

clears the floor. Will work easy with auto...try it with a stick is fun too!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
engine install with headers

I have a 67 Nova and put a small block Chevrolet with hooker super comps in

a stock engine bay...no problem. passenger side will go in from the bottom and

the drivers side will go in from the top while putting engine in. If you already

have engine in then from the bottom if you jack up the drivers side so collector

clears the floor. Will work easy with auto...try it with a stick is fun too!
I think he means dropping in the engine/tranny with the headers already on the block.

·
Registered
187 Posts
engine install with headers

Would be nice if you could but on my 73--no way--the steering box & heater case are the problem with the header collectors going down in.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he means dropping in the engine/tranny with the headers already on the block.
Yep, I mean't dropping them in together.

I kinda thought headers were not going to clear but thought I'd ask. As I noted above I'll return to installing headers while slightly suspended from it final resting place.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Wish it would be that easy...Nova's are nothing but fun when it comes to hot rodding them. I guess I have had the drivers side in and out about 60 times in the last two months! Fun with a stick by your self!

Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
I guess I have had the drivers side in and out about 60 times in the last two months!
That's enough to start driving you a little nuts. That's a Cross-Ram intake correct? Never used or even seen one in person on a car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looks good, very clean. Linda Vaughn signed air cleaner lid, nice. She was a little before my time but I am familiar with her.....work.:)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple of the header bolts are no fun too.

I'll second that hot rod room too! I've had this one about 23 years and it has gone thru an ass load of changes and none of them are ever easy. Just started building a '74 C10 and it made me remember how easy things can really be, like bellhousing bolts that you just reach up and take them out with your 3/8 ratchet....

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Couple of the header bolts are no fun too.

I'll second that hot rod room too! I've had this one about 23 years and it has gone thru an ass load of changes and none of them are ever easy. Just started building a '74 C10 and it made me remember how easy things can really be, like bellhousing bolts that you just reach up and take them out with your 3/8 ratchet....
LOL...that would be nice!

Hot rods are great when they are done, but takes allot of patience to work on them. Keep moving forward! It's really hard to put "just painted parts" in without scratching the crap out of everything the parts goes onto. Good luck with your project...as you know how much fun it will be...someday!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts