Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The largest part of me getting my subframe out is dropping the transmission. I know it's probably not a big deal at this point, especially since there is nothing left except some wiring and the frame, but I've never dropped a trans before. This is where it sits currently;

Any information on dropping this guy would be great.

·
3,863 Posts
Easy cheesy from there. Remove the two bolts holding the trans mount to the crossmember, disconnect the linkage and speedo cable, pull the trans out the front. It weighs around 150 pounds so a little help is recommended. The driveshaft will pull out itself or you can remove it first, your choice. I always recommend draining the trans first or you WILL get fluid out of the tailshaft.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy cheesy from there. Remove the two bolts holding the trans mount to the crossmember, disconnect the linkage and speedo cable, pull the trans out the front. It weighs around 150 pounds so a little help is recommended. The driveshaft will pull out itself or you can remove it first, your choice. I always recommend draining the trans first or you WILL get fluid out of the tailshaft.
Thanks! Is there anything special I should do with the driveshaft end that was in the trans such as wrap it in anything?

·
3,863 Posts
Thanks! Is there anything special I should do with the driveshaft end that was in the trans such as wrap it in anything?
You can the big thing is to clean and lube it before you reinstall it. When you take off the driveshaft wrap tape around the u-joint to hold the caps on so they won't fall off and drop the roller bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts