Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Valve cover gasket, Timing cover gasket, and pushrod cover gaskets a while back (2 weeks ago). And today i check out the order status, "expected to arrive at summit racing july 26th for 2 of them the last one on Aug 8th!!!!!! :eek: So after summit gets them, they ship it to me. Last i checked on there the order was for the 17th and the last one 21st, its been pushed back... I dont want to wait, i got the head in place and im ready to fire this thing up!!! of course autozone doesnt cary any of this (Inline, all backorder stuff) what am i to do??? anyone know where i can get a valve cover for an inline that i dont have to wait for backorder? I can gasket maker on the timing cover and pushrod covers. And am i able to cancel a summit order at this point?

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,667 Posts
This is for an L6???

I ordered gaskets to completely redo my entire engine last winter from Napa and had them in 2 days.

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
I got a gasket for a straight six at Advance Auto parts once, it was a fel-pro and it was in-stock
^^^Ditto. I got the 6-cyl gasket two weeks ago at Advance Auto and it was in stock across the street. I got the PCV grommet at O'Reilly's ... it came from Greensboro (about 20 miles away) but it arrived at the local store within 4 hours.

I seem to recall the gasket was $5 and the grommet was $3.50 or so..... Simple Green, hose down, dry in the sun..... and it was so easy. Granted, I could not for the life of me get the durned oil plug out the next day. :)

Call around would be my advice. There is no reason to wait too long for relatively common parts.

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, should've known better than to try autozone, I'll call up summit tomarrow to cancel after i talk to the local advanced auto or napa... just a bad bad bad couple weeks all around, hopefully it all gets better. Thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I wouldn't cancel the order a valve cover gasket is nice to have hanging on the wall when you really need one. I have thermostat gaskets, head gaskets and valve cover gaskets hanging on the wall. You never know when you need one and need it NOW!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Doesn't Summit charge like $11 for every order? That's going to be an expensive gasket.

You could try Rock Auto.com for common auto parts.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't Summit charge like $11 for every order? That's going to be an expensive gasket.

You could try Rock Auto.com for common auto parts.
The gasket was like $12, with the other 2 gaskets (timing cover and pushrod covers) the order came to $67!!! I got it cancelled just alittle bit ago. I understand the "have extra just in case" but I went to Napa and they got cork gaskets on hand, and the rubber one will be here in the morning, and its only $10 for the rubber, so if it blows or anything, i can get the cork asap.

And the RockAuto thing, I honestly dont know why I didnt go there first before summit... I love rock auto, they have almost every dang part I'd need on that car!!! Thats where i got the head at when the junkyard find was cracked!

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ordered a Valve cover gasket, Timing cover gasket, and pushrod cover gaskets a while back (2 weeks ago). And today i check out the order status, "expected to arrive at summit racing july 26th for 2 of them the last one on Aug 8th!!!!!! :eek: So after summit gets them, they ship it to me. Last i checked on there the order was for the 17th and the last one 21st, its been pushed back... I dont want to wait, i got the head in place and im ready to fire this thing up!!! of course autozone doesnt cary any of this (Inline, all backorder stuff) what am i to do??? anyone know where i can get a valve cover for an inline that i dont have to wait for backorder? I can gasket maker on the timing cover and pushrod covers. And am i able to cancel a summit order at this point?
speedway motors look them up on google

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just bought valve cover and side cover, pan gasket, timing cover, dist gaskets all Fel-Pro from AutoZone, had them on the shelf no problem!..

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The gasket was like $12, with the other 2 gaskets (timing cover and pushrod covers) the order came to $67!!!.
Thats an insane price for just 3 gaskets. I bought a whole Fel Pro engine gasket kit with ALL the gaskets for my 194 6 cyl from my local Engine Parts Warehouse for only $54.62. They had it in stock. no waiting. If I had to order it, they can ship it to my house in a couple days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts