Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Jim, thanks for the info about your OE A/C setup. I will check the assembly manual for the rubber seal and close out panel you mentioned and will likely install them on my 2 cars.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts
front top rubber seal & a/c close out panel ......

Greg .... I will take you a pic of the top seal ...... I think u could make something up to work (I'm not sure they are still available)

the lower "a/c close out panel" IS History .... They don't repro that part..... the one I have is still on my car, and has a few cracks .... but still works. I have those pic's of that panel (I'll look , or search 3rd gen section - for a/c lower panel).

I think both items HELP to put more incoming air through the core.

later, jim

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Lets give this a . . . Bump to the Top .

So, last post from " Jan , 2018 " - - - - - - - - May be some members have ' added things ' to their " Chevy Six Engines " . . . . . I have .

(some very good looking 'Six Motors' ) . . . . . I'm just saying . . . . . jim

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I still run my L6s and I have a fresh one waiting to go in. And it is time I am hoping to change out the Muncie for a T10 with a 2.88 first if I get my hands on one. The fresh motor is pretty much the same other then I made a cam Change from the 583/607 to just shy of .700 lift. And installing a few other goodies I have been making to dress it up some more.

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts
For me, it's a sound from my youth, as the family had a '65 wagon with a 230 that dad bought new. Something imprinted on me as a kid, hearing my mom or dad roll up in the Nova at night after I was in bed; I'd wait for that familiar sound, knew they were home, and then I could get to sleep.

Nostalgia aside, the car was kind of designed around the 6 in terms of the power and weight the body was designed to handle. Sure, plenty were made with small blocks and some powerful ones, but this budget economy car was really for people that wanted a cheap car with a cheap to keep engine as well. Only after having a number of V-8 Novas and Chevy II's did I decide that I wanted a convertible with an inline 6. Love the other cars, but liking this combination a lot for a cruiser car.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
hi Larry . . . . new motor , it's gonna be very cool . - - - - - - - can you send me your New Web-site address, again (it got lost ) . . . . . Thanks .

Hey Frank . . . . . I've always been a - 6 - guy , and with the T 5 . . . . man, I really like Driving it now .

Here's one NEW Item installed :

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I love the way the sixes literally purr.I missed that cool sound you cant get in any other engine
Hi Dan . . . . . I'm sure glad too see your posting up . Hope all is well & good . . . . . How's the EFI coming along . . . . . . jim

Reactions: Brooksey

·
Registered
499 Posts
My '69 Nova still has the original 250 cu in motor along with original Saginaw 3-spd (floor shifter) and 3:08 open differential.

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
My 68 has a 250 inline from factory. Its a little sick now, with head removed, and a exhaust valve seat being repaired.

Having hardened valve seats installed and a full valve job done too.

Lou, central Arkansas

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Bump to the TOP ................................................

pretty much , most of you guys know I'm a 6 - cylinder Fan !

I just went through this " Post " . . . . . . . . because . . . . . . . . I have a 'spare 292 engine . . . . . . . .
(complete - running 1 ton truck motor) . . . . plus , I'm kinda needing a winter - time project .
I am thinking . . . . about installing this 292 motor into my 69 .

I am out "looking for some
INFO about the 292 = like the front crank-shaft ' Balancer ' . . . . . ?

That front Balancer IS almost 3" long . . . . (it would fit into my engine bay ) , but would not let me use
any type "manual drive FAN - Blade " ( the fan would hit the 3" balancer ) .
Then, - - 12bolt,com - - has a 2 - groove balancer (that says = it's a replacement for the 292) .

Here's my question = IS that my only ' choice ' . . . . ? (for a front 2-groove balancer) .
I also would need the 2 - groove water pump drive pulley . . . too match . . . ?
I'm reaching out too the SNS group , for any info : someone may have , about this up-grade .
( ( I have looked at " Lyndon's 63 Nova = 292 install pictures) . . . . but - - I know other Nova guys
have installed a 292 in some of their cars . ) )

I have talked to Larry @ twisted6 . . . . . and, have talked to Kenny Bryant (both guys Very Helpful) .

AJ Perks . . . . . is one . . . . I have sent him a "conversation" (a 63 Nova)

BaroneDog . . . . . is one . . . . I have sent him a "conversation" (63 Nova Wagon)

So, if someone may have info ........................ I'm looking .

Thanks , jim

# 1 - - 292 - large front crank-shaft Balancer .

# 2 - -

# 3 - - almost 3" . . . too long ; too let the fan blade fit & clear the radiator

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Maybe one day I will replace my original inline 6 with a V8 and a front clip, but for now I just wanted a safe and reliable cruiser.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Hi Jeff

a very Nice Nova - and - very Cool looking engine , for sure .
Thanks , for your quick reply . . . .

We just may need some more 'pictures of that Great Looking motor . . . . . like . . . . .
too me , looks like you have some "water heat" running to / under your 'intake manifold' . . . ?
So , what kind of ' exhaust , would you have ?

again , Nice ride . . . . . . jim

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Thanks for your interest, Jim. I will take some more pictures of the engine bay in the morning and post them. This is my first car, 63 Nova SS convertible, all black. I’ve owned it since 1972. The cylinders are bored 40 over and sleeved. The head is ported and polished, but not lumped (yet). I added stiffer springs, new rockers, and replaced the seals. Cleaned up the valves, checked the rods, and reassembled. The valve cover is from Clifford, as is the intake and headers. I have a better cam, but need help installing it.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Jeff . . . . here's my next ? . . . . Where is Home - ?

and, throw up some (over-all) , shots of your 63 Convert .

We all really like pictures ( maybe - - check out 'member - AllyMcReal (Frank's 63 Convertible . . . . a very
Nice Chevy II ) .. . .

Thanks , jim

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Hey Jeff .................. look here :

(Oh . . . Frank . . . very much worth Showing Off . . . . ) .

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Thanks Jim. I happened on that blue convertible yesterday. Very nice.
I am also in SoCal. 30 years in San Diego, then retired in Canyon Lake. Here’s a couple of more pics.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts