Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got the original 194 in mine. Less than 60k original miles on it too. Runs like a champ.

I especially like when people ask me, "Is it fast?" and I always say, "yes... Compared to walking.".

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I have the original 194 in my 65, has 28000 miles. I put a 5 speed in it and I just completed Power Tour. Before the next tour this six banger will be gone!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Got a 194 and was gonna build a 350 for it, but decided for ease of transplant and economy, to just bump up to a 250 so I bought one of those too.

Heres the 194 in all of its faded glory...still running despite wear and neglect...such a little trooper this one...

Heres the 250, waiting to be taken out of my truck....

65Nova4door has a niiiiice set up!!! His car is the main reason I am switching up the build plan and going with the 250, although he has the heavy duty truck six in his.....Im even entertaining the thought of a turbo. Anybody have any feedback on those? Besides expensive?:devil:

·
Registered
134 Posts
My '63 SS still has its 194 Six in it...

My '63 SS still has its 194 Six in it

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My 71 4 door has a 250 030 over with some work done to it
I fired it up and took it for a drive this past week
Very hard to find parts for the old inline 6’s

·
Registered
708 Posts
The problem I had with my stock 63, great car to take out and cruise thru country, but if get into modern day traffic, these cars arnt built in day of our modern day traffic, hop on highway, 80 miles an hour, drive 65, get ran over, in traffic, stop and go, if your not taking off with traffic, folks blowing horn, and we know they don't stop like modern cars, so I opt V8 with disc brakes

·
Registered
311 Posts
I live in a very congested state and driving a 52 year old original car can be a bit of a challenge so I almost never drive it in rush hour traffic. On the highways I can cruise between 65 – 70 mph in the right lane and most drivers have no issue just passing me and give me a thumbs up or wave. But on the back roads I have to really slow down at all curves or bends in the road and that’s where I have the most issues. Some people just tailgate me thinking that will make me drive faster. Or they will pull out in front of me because they don’t want to get stuck behind an old slow car. They don’t realize that old cars don’t handle or stop like a newer car does.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts
SIX in a ROW ...... with a couple of up-grades ......

...... MAKES 'EM ROW & GO

Most everybody has seen my '69 , well it's a SIX , and (as long as I own it) ...... will always BE a SIX .......... oh yeah ! :yes: :cool:

pictures are Golden ...... I've got plenty ......

250 - 155hp - and it goes GOOD

jim

·
Registered
372 Posts
No one has mentioned cooling problems associated with their I-6's. That is the only complaint I have with my 230 and 250. They both run hot and adding A/C certainly does not help!
I use a 4L65E behind my 230 and I like driving 70 MPH at 2300 RPM but I am told the power valve in my one barrel carb must be partially open due to low vacuum (about 14 1/2 inches) and that prevents me from seeing an increase in my MPG. When I ran a TH350 I got 14 1/2 MPG and now with the 4L65E I only get 14 3/4 MPG. That is disappointing.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Greg ....

My '69 has factory (not dealer) a/c .... car was bought new in Phoenix, and has the factory HD cooling package. 3 row v8 rad, 7 blade fan (v8 ), with a fan clutch, and "a/c six type water pump". This last summer I DID remove that 7 blade fan & clutch ........ because, the fan clutch was working good ....... but, at 40 years old, I did not want it too come apart and ruin my (fresh rebuilt - new core) radiator. I made an adaptor for my water pump (used an alumn. fan spacer & hogged out the back side to fit my a/c water pump) .... then went with a FlexaLite 17" fan.
Before all that, I would run 180 -190 -195 ---- and so far still do. Not running my a/c yet ...... it's still complete & intact ...... just need to install new hoses. the old hoses 'weep freon'. My car also 'still has' the lower a/c close-out panel under the front bumper, and the a/c rubber seal across the top of the radiator (to make more air move through the core).
I think it would be easy to add the top rubber seal to any Nova..... and it couldn't hurt. I'm hoping to up-date my a/c hoses this summer (already have new drier, & POA valve, and 'POINDEXTER' has the a/c hose crimper kit, so, I should B golden). So, just to throw it out there ------- I also drive my car HARD (it goes pretty good ..... even better w/ my 390 on there now). hoping it still runs cool ....... just FYI

later, jim

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
go HERE to see my '69 Nova ..... 250 six pictures :

jim

#3...

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts
I use one, but it sure doesn't look like yours, Jim!. You look dialed in for some power increase, and cool looking setup.

I still use a 6, and am lining up a series of discarded but good running 6 cylinder engines cast off by other Nova owners. I've had a bunch of first and second generation Novas with V-8s, but I want a cruiser for my convertible.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Hi Frank ....

I sure hope all is going good in your world ....

All that 'glitter' would look a lot better if I'd clean that engine compartment up a bunch ..... but , it's all I got ...

goes good for me ...... :yes:

:yes: jim

101 - 120 of 160 Posts