Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
My "new to me" 63 Vert will retain the original 194 for a short time at least. Maybe upgrade to a 230 or 250, maybe. Hard to pull an engine with low miles on it.

On the other hand my 63 2dr sedan lost it's 6 for a 383. Maybe I'll hear it run again someday.

On the third hand the 62 kept it's original L6-2 and I can't wait to find out just how sloooow it actually is!!!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
THROWIN' MINE BACK IN TOMORROW:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
From me :D

They both are clifford performance products
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/...?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=C250[/QU
How much horse power will i gain with that set up?
Well, I'm not 100% sure on this, but at one pt I believe clifford had a thing on their website that said if you used the 4 bbl intake, headers and 264 hyd cam it would add 75 hp. I can't find it now though. I also believe I was told that adding an offy intake and langdon headers would add about 50 hp.

On my 292, I was told that I'm making around 210hp and 290 tq with the stock head. With head work I'd see about 250-260 hp and 325 tq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I'm not 100% sure on this, but at one pt I believe clifford had a thing on their website that said if you used the 4 bbl intake, headers and 264 hyd cam it would add 75 hp. I can't find it now though. I also believe I was told that adding an offy intake and langdon headers would add about 50 hp.

On my 292, I was told that I'm making around 210hp and 290 tq with the stock head. With head work I'd see about 250-260 hp and 325 tq.

Wow! 250-260 is some good horse power for a 6cylinder :yes:
What set up do you have?
How can I get that much HP on my 230 in line 6?

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Wow! 250-260 is some good horse power for a 6cylinder :yes:
What set up do you have?
How can I get that much HP on my 230 in line 6?
Well, I'm probably not the best person to ask, since I don't really know what I'm talking about :D:D
You might want to contact Twisted6 on this board or Tom Lowe from 12bolt.com

Tom has done a lot of dyno testing with these engines and the speed parts available for them.
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/5uVNQFkIZXc?fs

I started with a 040 over 292, added a 264H cam (sneider racing cams), offy intake with a holley 390, and Landgon's cast iron split manifold. Adding a lump ported head would add about 40 hp and 35 tq, to get to 250hp/325tq.

It isn't cheap getting hp out of an L6.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I'm probably not the best person to ask, since I don't really know what I'm talking about :D:D

Tom has done a lot of dyno testing with these engines and the speed parts available for them.

I started with a 040 over 292, added a 264H cam (sneider racing cams), offy intake with a holley 390, and Landgon's cast iron split manifold. Adding a lump ported head would add about 40 hp and 35 tq, to get to 250hp/325tq.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts

WOW!
MY LITTLE OL' 230 CAN'T COMPETE! :no:

·
Registered
347 Posts
My '65 4 door still has the original 194 with 3 on the tree. I wouldnt put a V-8 in my car if you gave me a brand new crate motor. I hate them. I get about 25 to the gallon with my engine, and I can outrun most of the imports around here if I need to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still running the 194 and it's fun. Runs good and has zip. Car has been lowered since this photo and changed to steelies and dog dish caps. Want to add A/C this year. Any suggestions on where to get the correct pullies and brackets?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
On our 65 Coupe, I pulled the tired 300,000+ mile 194 out and sent it to heaven, minus the valuable 194 head.
Was going to install a 250 with lots of bolt ons and then WHAM V8 fever hit!

Because 350 SBC's are So cheap now I had to do it. Found a great deal on a decent 350 on this site from a guy going LS. (Thanks Joe).

But my wife's 62 More Door still has a 194 Inliner and we have plans to warm that up with a little performance and a Turbo 350 trans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice set up!!

in the process of replacing my 194 with this inline

i have a inline 6 (194) all original in my 65 nova. i wanted to update it with parts simular to what you have but am new at finding parts and the correct sizes as well. i wanted a nice looking valve cover and wanted to update my old radiator and 1bbl carb but i hear i need to change out my intake manifold if i get a bigger carb like yours. I would really appreciate it if you can help out in showing me some parts similar to yours that will fit on mine. thank you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i have a inline 6 (194) all original in my 65 nova. i wanted to update it with parts simular to what you have but am new at finding parts and the correct sizes as well. i wanted a nice looking valve cover and wanted to update my old radiator and 1bbl carb but i hear i need to change out my intake manifold if i get a bigger carb like yours. I would really appreciate it if you can help out in showing me some parts similar to yours that will fit on mine. thank you.
For valve/side covers check your local marine salvage yard, Mercruiser used tons of IL6's back in the day and there's all kinds laying around, got mine for $75 I just milled off the "Mercruiser" cleaned and painted them up...

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
If you look at my website, I have most of the parts I used listed. Let me know if you have any specific questions:
63ChevyII.com

81 - 100 of 162 Posts