Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 80 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
6 cyl power

I purchased my 64 SS in may. The previous owner hurt the original 194 but replaced it with a 250 from a '69 pickup. I have added the Pertronix upgrade to the distributor and I am currently searching for some 6 cyl speed parts.ie: intake and headers. I don't go anywhere fast but I sure am having fun getting there!

·
Registered
21 Posts
6 cylinder or v8
it dosent matter as long as your happy
maybe a daily driver for gas milage go for the 6
but for performance go for the v8

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keeping the L6 running

I just got my L6 230 back from the rebuild shop. I plan to restore my 66 Chevy II Sedan to as close to factory as I can. The car was in good shape as it was under a cover for the past 20 plus years. I have it stripped down to the frame now and working my way back to get it running again.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
HERE'S THE 194

HERE'S THE 230

THE 230 WILL BE GOIN' IN, IN 2 WEEKS.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
daily driver

Hi all,

I'm refreshing a 63 wagon that is 98% original. I'm thinking of keeping it stock and rolling with the inline six. How many of you guys still have your inlines in tact and working usefully? I know the trend is to yank the six and place an eight in there but I more interested in just cruising around versus a low quarter mile machine.
i have a 63 wagon with a 230 cid six ( the six came out of a 64 that pete of parts pete fame was disassembleing)I got a 2004r out of an'87 monte carlo at 1/2 price day @ pick a part. The 2004r trans mount cost 3 xs what the trans cost. I have an hei distributor out of a 74 nova.I also have a delco remy style mini starter. I get about 24 mpg on the freeway.The six is extremely reliable and bone stock except for a modern alternator from an early nineties buick.I've also added a cpp mini subframe ' v8 springs and front disks and 1" addco sway bar.I would never upgrade to a v8 in my wagon...

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is so great to hear all these positive comments about the 6 cylinder engines!
I have 3 63's and one has a 250, another has a 230 and the last one is not running. Both of my cars that run have overheating problems that are making me crazy! If I change to a V8 it will be because of the overheating problems.
But when it is all said and done - you gotta love the torque of the 6 banger!

·
Banned
360 Posts
Since I know my buddy Scott checks this post as often as I do...here ya go Scott:

Also received my JDM intercooler today:

Later,
Stu

·
Registered
133 Posts
Engine is coming together Stu!! Yep, it's true...I've been brought over to the 6 cylinder side!! I have an original 67' SS 6 cylinder car...but I've been running a V-8 for about 12 years now. With gas prices where they are, and no relief in sight, I'm getting on the 6 cylinder turbo kick with Stu. Picked up a very complete engine last weekend, and now the parts hunt is on! Well...a slow hunt.... It's great seeing so many of you running stock and modified 6 cylinders!!! Great work!:salute:

Scott

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Since I know my buddy Scott checks this post as often as I do...here ya go Scott:

Also received my JDM intercooler today:

Later,
Stu

HOWS THAT WORK WITH THE 6 STU? :confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine is all original. 140 horse power is fine for cruising around town. It isn’t all that pretty but it works.

61 - 80 of 162 Posts