Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm refreshing a 63 wagon that is 98% original. I'm thinking of keeping it stock and rolling with the inline six. How many of you guys still have your inlines in tact and working usefully? I know the trend is to yank the six and place an eight in there but I more interested in just cruising around versus a low quarter mile machine.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Our mooredoor is all stock except for the 400 series hub caps. 194 cc for us, just gotta love all the room in the engine compartment.

EarlyIIS

·
Registered
14 Posts
62 sedan

I thought about it both ways. My first car in 1969 was a 6 cylinder Nova. So I am keeping a 6 cylinder in my 62. I am using a 250 with an upgrade to the intake, cam and exhaust. A six cylinder chevy has it's own qualities that are interesting and totally different than a V8. I love the way they sound, the way they idle, and the low end torque. And it is nice to see something besides a 350 under a hood. Plus it is a lot less work than switching over to a V8.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Still using mine, love that fact it is just a nice looking driver, not made for racing and it still turns heads. Doing some minor upgrades to it as time goes on

·
Registered
153 Posts
Initially I bought my Nova with the intention of keeping the six and attempting to get good mileage. However, people on the site report all sorts of different mileage with the 194 (some good some bad). I also loved looking into the engine compartment and thinking, "God, I can easily fix anything on this engine" since it had so much room. I mean come on, you could take the starter off from from the top! But, the engine had uneven cylinder pressure and was blowing smoke so rebuilding was going to cost a bit of money to keep the 194. In the end I gave up...bought a Vortec 350 out of a 99 Tahoe with 33,000 miles. The six is cool (especially 65Nova4door's...Offy covers and manifold look great on that thing!) and you should keep it if it is in good condition and you don't mind the lack of power. I know that for me to be able to live with it I would have had to put in a 700r4 tranny or a 5 speed manual just to keep it interesting. Good luck with the 6!

·
Registered
4 Posts
daily driver in NM

I keep my 64 longroof maintained and drive it all the time. its almost all original (except HEI ) I have used it for almost 5 years and put over 25,000 miles on the OG 194 3-on-the-tree. Only had to replace a few wear items ( water pump, thermostat, fuel pump, ...) It likes to mark its territory, but i dont mind topping her off with oil now and then(one day i'll fix that damn leak) Overall amazing experience. like being in 1964

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
My first 68 Chevy II had a 230 L6 that I replaced with a 350 and was not sorry.

Bought the 2nd 68 last April and it has a functional L6, 250 c.i. I have no plans to yank it. I do, however, plan to do as a lot of others have done - better intake and dual exhaust.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I pulled the 194 out of my 63 wagon and replaced it with a rebuilt 250. Offy intake, Holley 390, Langdons cast headers and duals. I love it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a 194 in my wagon and plan on using it til it stops, the simplicity and reliability of 6s is great, I had a 6 in my 2-door and replaced it with a 283, regretted it.

arndog

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,643 Posts
I'm running a stock 250 in Lucille, except for the Pertronix upgrade to the distributor. It is backed by a 2004R though :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
My wifes 63 wagon has a 194 in it but I have a 250 sitting on the engine stand that will be going in it. Also it will have a Vintage Air system that should be on its way now.
Yes I thought about changing the inline for a 327 but we talked about it and decided to leave it a inline. I have been talking to Larry(t6racing.org) and he has been a great source for information. We have already worked out a cam profile that we will order from Delta Cams in Yakoma Washington.
Anyway...yes ours will stay as an inline...

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
In the 1963 SS convertible driver we run the 230 with HEI and its driven daily

The 1963 chevy II sedan has a 230 with Pretronix driven 3X a week

Both are dialed in and run great!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
when i first got my wagon (about 2 years ago now) i had the 6 in it... ran it for about 4 months but then an 8 was given to me... im in the process of doin that now :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a run of bad luck with the 6's... three dead ones in my '66 before I got fed up and put in a small block. Love the power and sound, etc., but I RRRREEEAAALLLLLLLLYYYY miss the 6! I am building one now to put back in! SUPERCHARGED!!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I still have the 194 in my 65 4 door. The only "mod" I've done to it is a split manifold for my dad when he was still alive and he as well as I love it. Any other Nova owners with sixes get tired of people telling you Oh too bad it isnt a V8 and if applicable only 2 doors? I finally had enough last year and snapped some guys head off when he told me that. Anyways I was going to put a PG trans in my Nova that's out of a 63 Chevrolet Biscayne but too much work and I don't want to lose my originality. I wouldn't get rid of my 6 for all the tea in China. Sixes are cool!

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,875 Posts
I have a 194 w/ Offy-4bbl setup now, fun. :D

I picked up a 250 from an Impala to redo & hook up the Offy, for moore fun. :cool:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Using the stock 194 to start off with, once the car is on the road I'll build a 250 which I already have!..:yes:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I rebuilt the 6 for my moredoor because it was in such excellent shape when I pulled it. I'm going to do the whole dual exhaust and upgraded intake. I haven't decided between the 2 or 3 single barrel carb one yet.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts