Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i've been looking through the mass quantities of inline six threads (and drooling profusely) and still have a couple questions.
first, i'm driving a '64 with the 194 inline six.

1) I remember seeing a link about converting to HEI distributor. I've been messing with my points/timing and tuning it up for.. well, as long as I've had it, and it runs excellent for about 2 weeks at a time. I know that not just because its points, they can be great, but if i have to replace parts (aka if the distributor shaft has play/more new points) I'm a firm believer in upgrading to new technology. I was looking at a link that had a full article and swapping out mine for an inline six HEI from the junkyard, but can't seem to find the link again.

Is this as good of an idea as it sounds? will i kick myself for not just saving up and buying a new one? (can i find a new one for my little ol' 194?)

2) I keep hearing about these amazing offy or clifford intakes, and they all have heated manifolds. Seems like a great idea for my daily driver, but i dont have the money for the part, let alone for a big ol' 4 barrel to put on it. I would be interested in setting something up for a heated factory intake; Is there any parts/kits that run coolant to it to heat it? It doens't have anything on it from the factory that i can tell.. do i need to look closer, or would this be a good upgrade? It seems like it would be worth it for cold mornings and just efficiency in general.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Well first off, swapping to an HEI is a good investment. You can find them on just about any late model GM cars with sixes in them (about 75 on up)
They will slide right in with no problem, I bought one from a junkyard. All I did was replace the cap, rotor, and of course you'll have to buy new wires.

2nd, there is no reason to heat your factory intake manifold, it's already heated from the exhaust manifold which has a heat riser/flap in it. The only reason for a heated intake is if you run headers, and you don't have the heat directly going to the intake manifold. If you're looking for a little more performance keep your eyes open, check ebay, and inliners.org classifieds. They come up quite often, and might even check your local car part swaps if you have any. I found my Offenhauser intake at a swap meet for $60, and I found my Holley 390cfm 4 bbl carb for $80. Not a bad deal for $140.

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
6,878 Posts
^^^ Good info sgsteve.........:yes:

If you don't want to do the HEI complete distributor., a Pertronix Ignitor into your stock distributor is another alternative that gets you free of the points and greatly improves your ignition...........

http://www.pertronix.com/
That's what I did with mine. I even got the new coil. Made a HUGE improvement.

I'm still running the stock manifolds and probably won't switch to headers and the Offy, but that's just me. I did upgrade to a 2004R so I get great gas mileage with the overdrive compared to the Powerglide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thank you for the help! It sounds like ill be tracking down an HEI dizzy from our local pick N pull-- ill be happy if it solves my timing woes.. and I will have to start watching ebay. Tho once I get it tuned up and running real smooth, ill probobly want to do some cosmetic work, my little ol sedan is in good shape, but not very many parts match, it does Dr frankenstein proud.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have a 194 in my 64. I also upgraded to an HEI. I got mine from the local U-pull-it salvage yard and paid about $38 for it. I had the module in it checked and replaced the cap, rotor, and wires and put it in. Don't forget to remove your stock wire running from the ignition switch to the coil. This is a resistance wire and must be replaced with a new regular wire to get a full 12v to the HEI for it to work properly. If you're pulling a HEI unit out of your local yard then get the wire ( the whole length) with connector plug along with it. Thats what I did. I lucked out as the wire harness I got with my HEI also had a factory tach wire/plug made into it. Mine came out of a late 70's chevy truck 250 6 cyl.
I also upgraded my induction sytem. I found mine on e-bay. It is an offy dual 1 barrel intake that also came with two 1 barrel holley carbs, linkage and fuel lines. I paid $200 for it with free shipping. The only other thing I had to do was get rebuild kits and air cleaners for the carbs.
Also you might want to upgrade to a internal regulated SI type alternator. They typically are better and put out more amps than the older external units. I performed this upgrade as well. You'll have to alter/modify your stock harness to use one of these, buts its not hard to do as one might think.

[/IMG]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts