Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing some idea's around about an exhaust setup for my 6.
I have the langdon's split headers and at first I was thinking about making them Y together and running it under the driver side and spit out infront of the driver tire. But reading through the X pipe H pipe and dual exhaust threads I started wondering if an Inline would sound better if I didnt connect the exhaust and just ran dual exhaust, and run it the same way as before (infront of driver side tire) wondering if it would give off a different sound like v8's do with x-pipe/dual exhaust. And i thought it'd look cooler :)
And one last thing is i remember reading along time ago here that there was a big difference in running big exhaust (2.5") and running little exhaust (1.75" or something) could anyone fill me in on if bigger exhaust leads to better performance?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just built a 2 inch dual exhaust for a buddies 53 chevy with a 194? but even with cherry bombs it wasnt reallt that loud i had to run a y pipe cause it was a stock manifold but from what i could tell the performanec really didnt improve but i could be wrong it looked cool and he ended up putting flame throwers on it

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently have the stock exhaust manifold and the exhaust runs over to the passenger side has 18" cherry bombs i believe, and it is one loud car! but with a chance to split the exhaust or Y it together i wanna make the right choice!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Split w/glasspacks

For the classic high-performance straight 6 sound, you should run the split manifolds and 2 glasspacks.

Check on inliners.org - they used to have sound bites of different exhaust setups installed in vehicles.

SteveM.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea steve... they say for that true 70's muscle sound to get glasspacks and mount them closer to the engine, instead of at the end to get that deep rumble when you let off the gas (cant remember where i read that though)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts