Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I install the current 6 in the engine bay, I want to replace the valve seals. I've done that before, but it's been a long time, and I just used the small 'o-ring' type that come with the gasket kit. At a popular supplier, I see about 4 or 5 different types of valve seals for this engine in its stock iteration, including the original type, a few umbrella types, and a snap-ring type that would require machining to either the valve guides or the casting to make them work. I've only seen one engine that was supposed to have the machining done to make this snap-ring type work, and the engine was apart and early for oil leaking through the valve guides.

My question is: is anyone running the umbrella type, and if so, which one? Was any machining work needed to the head to make them work? Looking at the head and the valve with the spring off, it looks like one could run both the o-ring type on the valve AND the umbrella type fitting below it, with a single valve spring and have no interference. Has anyone done this, and would there be any detriment or advantage? I'm working on a bone stock 194.

·
Registered
266 Posts
GM replaced o ring valves seals about 1980. Replaced with umbrella seals. Sealed Power valve seals MV 1598 should work. Available at Napa. Do not install original style o rings with umbrella seals. No machining of valve guide required.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My old school engine builder says the original o ring style will be fine provided the valve guides are not excessively worn.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Umbrella seals are the way to go. They seal better & last longer. They are more forgiving/helpful if there is some wear on the guide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts