Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback from those who have pulled an inline 6. What points/locations on the engine should I use to attach the hoist? I have pulled several V-8s but never a straight 6. I saw in an old mechanic's book referencing removing the valve cover and using two of the head bolt locations, but wondered if that was necessary? Any thoughts/feedback as to what others have done would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Do not use the head bolt(s) nearest the water pump as I understand it, that is a weak point where things tend to break.

·
6,501 Posts
Looking for some feedback from those who have pulled an inline 6. What points/locations on the engine should I use to attach the hoist? I have pulled several V-8s but never a straight 6. I saw in an old mechanic's book referencing removing the valve cover and using two of the head bolt locations, but wondered if that was necessary? Any thoughts/feedback as to what others have done would be great.
I'm not harping directly at you but you need to give us more info as to what 6 cylinder you are dealing with and in what chassis. What you are asking is somewhat vague.

Some motors had lift brackets on them that may still be in place or may have been removed at some point. On my 68, for example, from what I have found out they had a special bracket that hooked onto and under the intake/exhaust manifold when the motor was installed originally.

I have to think too, that in a factory shop manual, they cover engine removal and the procedures involved.

This is from 1957 and who knows when they stopped this method of lifting the inliners:

These are brackets from something like a 70's GM model:

Oh, and since you are new here with only a few posts, welcome to the nightmare :).

Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and my apologies for not providing sufficient details. The motor is the 194 inline 6 and it’s being pulled from a 66 Nova. My son and I are doing this together and are getting ready to put Church Boys stuff on the front while the engine bay is empty. We have a rebuilt 6.0 motor that we pulled from a 2005 pickup that will be going in after the suspension work is complete. If the motor had brackets for removal from the factory they have been removed by the previous owner. That said, I want to be as safe and efficient as possible so that my son learns the correct way.

Thanks for the welcoming to the club!

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
When I pulled mine I used a length of 3/8" chain between front and back head bolts. Pulled engine and transmission together with no issues. Seems to me it is just as strong as the plate that I bolted to the intake to put the V8 with transmission connected in with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too pulled my 6 with tranny together from both a ‘63 & ‘64. There were no connection hooks. Used block bolts. No problems pulling both engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts