Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I need help finding out what is the problem with my inline 6, I know it over heats A LOT! and once Ive ran it for a good while (5 min down the road) I hear this boiling noise near the head? I need help figuring what this is and also smoke comes out where the firewall and the engine meet

·
Registered
232 Posts
Temperature may be wrong due to wrong mixture (or timing), bad thermostat or water pump(?) or choked cooling system. Check Your timing and spark plugs for mixture?

Smoke could be oil/dirt burning on Your hot engeine surface, or loose valve cover or its ventilation to the manifold..?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temperature may be wrong due to wrong mixture (or timing), bad thermostat or water pump(?) or choked cooling system. Check Your timing and spark plugs for mixture?

Smoke could be oil/dirt burning on Your hot engeine surface, or loose valve cover or its ventilation to the manifold..?
What about smoke coming out of the radiator, where the cap is? I think I have a blown head gasket and my timing might be off too:(

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Head Gasket

How many miles on motor? Head gaskets aren't all that hard to do and you can do it with motor in car. What kind of budget and do you already have another motor? Been a long time since I did a 6 cyl, but think the one I did on my 235 took a day ( young and on my own ) I'm sure someone will chime in and give you more descriptive info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many miles on motor? Head gaskets aren't all that hard to do and you can do it with motor in car. What kind of budget and do you already have another motor? Been a long time since I did a 6 cyl, but think the one I did on my 235 took a day ( young and on my own ) I'm sure someone will chime in and give you more descriptive info.
The odometer says 182063, what if the head is warped though? and My budget is little to nothing im 18 and my only way of transportation just kicked rocks so no job.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Head Gasket

Like I stated earlier, it's been a long time since I did a 6 cyl head gasket, but if there is smoke coming from between your firewall / head and out your rad I would say you have a major wrap/leak. Lots of guys on here with more experience than me and might be able to lead you in the best direction. 0 to no budget, kinda hard to answer that one. Don't know if anyone has an easy answer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I stated earlier, it's been a long time since I did a 6 cyl head gasket, but if there is smoke coming from between your firewall / head and out your rad I would say you have a major wrap/leak. Lots of guys on here with more experience than me and might be able to lead you in the best direction. 0 to no budget, kinda hard to answer that one. Don't know if anyone has an easy answer?
Ill Spend the money to get it fixed but I rather do it my self to save a couple of bucks. and smoke also comes out of valve cover where you put in the oil.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A cylinder head gasket replacement isn't that difficult to do on an inline. But why are you looking for head bolts? You can reuse the ones on your engine. They are not the torque to yield bolts commonly found on newer late model cars that require replacement everytime the head is removed. So you can reuse your existing head bolts.
Your first step is to get the shop manual for your car and read through a few times on the cylinder head gasket replacement proceedure to fully understand what is involved.
You'll end up needing various other gaskets to do the job. valve cover gskt, thermostat gskt, exhuast pipe donut gasket, Possibly manifold gaskets, carb mounting gasket. etc. There should be a gasket kit avaliable that includes all you'll need, assuming that it is indeed a blown head gasket. You will also need to learn how to set the valves once you reinstall the head.
Get the shop manual first, if you don't already have one. Then make sure you have the tools you'll need to do the job, especially a torque wrench.
If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, you might be better off having an experienced mechanic do the work. Or at least have someone there with the knowledge and experience to help you with it and show you how to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts