Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the inline 6 HEI's sold on e-bay ?

Looks like I can get one for about $75 shipped to my door. That's only a good deal if its not a P.O.S. though.

Anyone bought one ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got one sitting in the garage that you can try. I bought it but by the time it got here I had located a cap and rotor locally for my Delco unit and it fixed the problem. One of the retaining clips was busted off the electrical connector when it arrived if that gives you a clue about the quality. I've never actually run it though...

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the inline 6 HEI's sold on e-bay ?

Looks like I can get one for about $75 shipped to my door. That's only a good deal if its not a P.O.S. though.

Anyone bought one ?
Yes, I bought one and it was a failure. I could have reworked the springs and weights, but decided on a rebuilt GM HEI.

I still have the GM HEI but it has been replaced with a mini electronic distributor from a "V6" S-10 pickup. This setup is super nice and sold by
Langdon Stovebolt.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You could go to your local Pick a part/Junk Yard and no dout get one for cheap and just rebuild it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've been checking the local pullandpay yard. There have been a few trucks that HAD the HEI, but someone robbed them before I could get there.

I'm just getting a little impatient. I know if I wait, I'll find one. The e-bay ones are supposed to be "all new", so I thought that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don't do it I bought one had trouble sent me parts to fix it still didn't work! It's in my garage attic if you want it, free!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys...

I think I'll check one more time at the youpullit yard and if there's nothing there, I'll give the e-bay one a shot.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
I'm not an e-bay fan---- heard alot of good and bad---- and with my luck, I'd pass
I did the pertronix (ignitor II) about 17 years ago and is still going strong right now,,, if it does quit it could leave me on the side of the road---- but for 80 -90 bucks and 16-17 years of service---- I'm going to order another pertronix kit just for a spare to have with the car
I'd go Summit (new) before e-bay, or stovebolt s10 hei with all stock parts that you can get at any parts store---- ( smart move Lou )

jim

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I'd go Summit (new) before e-bay, or stovebolt s10 hei with all stock parts that you can get at any parts store---/QUOTE]

That s10 (V6) electronic distributor was my best investment. With the GM HEI, I had to start my timing at 4 degrees advance.

With the unit from Langdon Stovebolt, I was advised to start at 12 degrees advance. It started on the first turn; the car pulls good in 3rd gear and I don't have to downshift as often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update....

I finally found an HEI at the u-pull-it yard.

Installed it and am running like a top. The idle is much smoother, haven't had a chance to give her a spin around the neughborhood yet.

Thanks for all the input guys. OH YEAH, I got it for $35, so it was a win all the way around !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts