Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody no a good distributor with electronic ignition to use on my inline 6 250 motor I have in my 62 nova

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Distributor for 250 inline 6

I have used a original GM HEI on my inline 250 with no issues.

It was rebuild but only used for a short period of time. It is now laying on a storage shelf looking for a new owner.

I changed to a mini electronic distributor only because it would fit under my AC bracket.

It originally was used in the V-6 S-10's, but modified to fire up the 194, 230 ,250 inline 6.

I think 12bolt.com may offer it now, but I bought it from Langdon Stovebolt.

Either of these two will be a big improvement over the points style distributor.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
62novaman ......

1st -- Welcome to SNS , glad to see another "six guy" ...... have fun

you can look - here : https://skipwhiteperformance.com/catalog/category/distributors/chevy-6cyl-dist_7489/

If u'r looking for New / or / complete HEI distributor ...... not a bad price (I think).

or --- Check with ' onecarnut ' ...... (Hi Lou)

"Tom Dysart" ---------- I thought it was " Tom Lowe " @ 12bolt.com

just giving u a 'hard time' ---=--- Jim ....... :D

and, last ....... I installed the "Pertronix Ignitor I" system in my stock dist. and kelp the stock look (small dist cap).
It was DIY kit --- installed back in 1996 ....... AND .......
" STILL GOING" . Installed the kit myself and Did Not even pull my distributor . I like mine very much , and , running good : Summit : "Pertonix II Ignition System - # PNX - 91162A - $ 108.99 , '63 - '74 GM six" .

just FYI ............... and , add both of those guys to u'r 'friend's list' ... (onecarnut & bigallis1) ............... very good I-6 guys & NPHNP.

jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right I’m

Inline 6 are awesome you can do a lot with them and they are a engine many people just get rude of… 6727684B-4546-44EC-ABC2-11CBE0AD8D32.jpg this is distributor I have on there now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Petronius

In my 194 also but the motor needs rebuild so I have the 250 I rebuilt and am going to install but I have this distributor in the 250 now

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lookup a distributor for a 76 or newer Chevy inline. They are HEI. The 250 was common in the C10 trucks. There's one year HEI that has an external coil, I think it was 75. You can get them at a local auto parts store. Might be special order nowadays.

Don't forget to bypass your ignition resistor and run a 12g wire to power the coil. Accel sells a cheap HEI plug for the coil. I've seen the plug at local auto parts stores in the performance section I think.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-170072

https://www.summitracing.com/search...geSize=100&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

·
Registered
63 Posts
nova66mussl is correct, that is an electronic distributor in the pic, I didn't notice that when i posted. That is the external coil version I was talking about. The black part, under the rotor to the left, that is the electronic ignition module. I had that one on my 63 wagon. I've used both types.

You can use the internal coil in cap & rotor on that distributor if you want to change the appearance. You would also need to change the wiring harness that goes from the module to the internal coil. It's just a plug and I think it's still available.

The 6 cyl uses the same module as a V8 so you can upgrade that. The internal coil that goes in the cap is the same as the V8 also. The internal coil is epoxy which is better than an oil filled coil. You can get external epoxy coils too though, such as MSD Blaster SS and many others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts