Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the old rottenchester on my inline 250ci, does anyone have any reccomendations on a carb and cfm. I am currently looking at a holley 350 or 500 cfm 2 barrel. Any help would be appreciated.

Alan :confused:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
This might help...
http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36118&highlight=weber

You could also buy a "single to two barrel" adapter for another Rochester or (?). Ya' gotta' worry about mating up your linkage with what ever carb you change to also. Could be a huge PITA. :(

A quality single barrel rebuilt carb won't set you back more that $75-$100 bucks.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
im running a 390 holley 4 bbl on an offy intake, much like many others here on steve site. still a dog off the line but runs like a v8 on the freeway

i would say stay away from the 500cfm (probally too big) i think the 390 is more than enough.......my 2 cents

·
Registered
818 Posts
What carb you run will depend a lot on what you will be doing to the 250. If leaving it internally stock, probably no more than a Weber two barrel. Stovebolt even has an adapter for the stock intake. I am not familiar with the small Holley 2 barrel, but the 500, without mods to the engine may be too much. It is the carb the local circle track guys use on their race cars. With head work and a cam, small four barrels, like the 390 Holley or 500 Edelbrock work great.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
390cfm

When I get mine set up I will use the Holley 390cfm four barrel. I understand that with head, cam (or turbo) mods I can also modifiy that carb to comply nicely. Although I might change to a edelbrock if going turbo for another reason.

But I know everyone goes through this with their inline sixes. The onme barrels are a real waste of time. I have thought aboiut it and the best approach is the small four barrel. For the same price as any thing else you get the best of both worlds and it is pretty easy to set up. Yeah you have to buy a manifold, but you can get those for $200 or cheaper used.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Whats wrong with the stocker? If the rest of the motor is stock you won't see much of a gain with anything else. Don't blame the carb for every problem that could be carb related. The 6s are very famous for loosing the intake gaskets casing a lean surge problem that acts like a carb problem and the accelerator pump must be adjusted exactly right or it will run like crap.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Back in the early 80s many people use to race dirt cars with the 250 in line motor. You can make them run well and back then most guys ran the small 4 barrel carbs on them. RM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts