Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for anyone with the 68 1 Year only plastic rocker skirts on their car. I personally think this is part of the exterior trim package. My 06B 68 L79 has them. What I recently found I think is there might be 2 designs. I pulled the shorter set off a 68 11b built car and I know of a 1B built car that has the short design also. The ones on my car are the long style with a notch cut out just past the rear spring bolt that hold the spring up under the body. You can see in the pictures the 2 different lengths and the notch. These were often broke or torn and removed. I am very lucky to have 2 nice sets. I will be only using my originals.
But the shorter set has me puzzled. At first I thought someone cut the short set then I saw another car with them and thought maybe there were 2 designs. They are cosmetically the same just one longer than the other. I am looking for any input on this topic. Or if interested in the short set PM me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm never noticed a difference I have 4 sets some are still on the cars, 2 sets from 2dr cars and 2 sets from 4 dr cars. Ill take a look this weekend for you.
Oh ya do these 4 cars have the exterior trim package. Either the window trim or side body trim. Thanks..

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Mine had all the extra chrome strips along the bottom and window chrome. I'm not sure what that option is called. Mine has set and it a later built car. I'd have to look at the VIN, but the best I remember it was around the 200K range. I'll update the post when I get the VIN number and measure the length for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I think you may be right about the exterior trim.

My son's 68 had the exterior trim (thin chrome down the side of the car), chrome around the windows and the shield(?) under the rocker.

My 68 does not have the exterior trim nor the piece under the rocker.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine had all the extra chrome strips along the bottom and window chrome. I'm not sure what that option is called. Mine has set and it a later built car. I'd have to look at the VIN, but the best I remember it was around the 200K range. I'll update the post when I get the VIN number and measure the length for sure.
I don't need the vin just the build week from the cowl tag behind the master cylinder on the firewall

·
Registered
701 Posts
my 68 has the long set .they are orginal since i brougth this car new.
looked at the cut out and there is a hole between the cut out it
may be cut out so that water can drain out from body. just a idea.
car has chrome trim and had body molding.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jack you just proved that my early set 11B must have been cut for some odd reason. Your car is the earliest 68 I have seen with the rocker skirts.Very cool. Most of the cars I have seen with them have some sort of exterior trim package. I agree the notch is for the drain from the bottom of the rocker.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi

Jason,
Don't have any pics but my 10B '68 has them also.
Will look and take a pic when car is home in garage.
Ken
P.S.
Car does have the exterior trim,
window trim and rockers.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
My cowl tag build date is not like the one above. Mine is beat to hell and hard to read. It looks like mine read 12B. My serial number is 256171 and I have the longer notched style shields.
I corrected my VIN Number when I posted it I subtracted the 100001 for the start squence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts