Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wunderin' where to look for info on Police package Novas. I did a Google search and came up empty................

I'm just curious 'cause there's this Nova(I'm geussin 75-76) sitting by a garage near me with no engine/trans and it's got dual exhaust(well dual tailpipes anyway) but I don't see a rear sway bar hanging down.......

haven't looked inside to see if it's got a cop speedo or not...............

anyway would make a cool semi-resto project nad a good daily driver.........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks for the help.................

excellent MT article too!

now I'm excited...........guess I'll have to take a closer look at this car

I am wondrin' how they fit B-body brakes inside 14" wheels tho........

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
9C1 Police Package Options

I am in the process of making my 1978 SS (Clone) with the 9C1 options. Hopefully I will have everything on for the Nova Nationals in July.
I have found on various sites and this is what the package consists of:

Z-28 power steering gear box (Quick Ratio 2 1/2 to 3 turns) 129.99 from Autozone

Front & Rear Sway Bars Approx. 250.00 from Classic Industries
Catalog

Rear Brake Kit (11X2) 350.00 from Classic Industries
Catalog

120 Speedometer 250.00 Bob's Speedometer 800-593-9673
he will take your original speedo and rebuild
it to make it look like the 120 in the cop car.

Heavy Duty Radiator Can buy Anywhere

Heavy Duty Trans Cooler Can buy Anywhere

If I have missed something or anyone has any questions you can email me at
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Always thought the 9C1s were sedans, but the price guide says Chevy offered a coupe. Did not know that. Does anyone know how many were made and what years they were offered?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Hi guys,

Here's some more 9C1 info I turned up using a Google search:

http://www.geocities.com/novaessess/ponova.htm

According to that brochure, the 9C1 package was available on both 4-door sedans as well as 2-door coupes (in 1976 anyway).

That brochure also states 14x7 wheels but doesn't mention anything special about the brakes. It just lists "Power front disc / rear drum brake system standard on V8 models" under the "Standard 1976 Nova Features".

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Brakes for 9C1 nova

This is what I found off of one of the websites.

Chevrolet used heaviest-duty Nova SS and Camaro Z28 suspension components and the brakes from the full-size Bel Air and Impala.

I have a print out at home w/ more information describing the brakes and will post that tomorrow from the other website I found.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nova SEO 9C1 package

The Nova 9C1 two door was made for the 1976, '77 and '78 year models. On the '78 model year, the following was standard with the SEO 9C1 option. (The term "COPO" was not used for the '78 model, it was used only on the 75-77 models. In '78 the term COPO was dropped and replaced with SEO which stands for Special Equipment Option)

1. Great Capacity Oil Filter
2. Engine Valve Train Durability Features (these were taken from the engines produced for the Checker cabs!)
3. Special Performance Suspension, including 14 x 7 wheels, special rear spring bushings, shock asorbers, springs and steering gear
4. Special Police service front and rear stabilizer bars
5. Front disc brakes with metallic impregnated linings
6. Front and rear seats trimmed in black or camel tan heavier gauge vinyl (4-door Sedan only)
7. Higher capacity cooling system with special temperature controlled fan and clutch
8. 61 amp Delcotron generator (alternator) 35-amp at idle
9. 4000 watt Delco Freedom battery
10. Sport steering wheel

The following were options that were required to be ordered on the '78 9C1

1.RPO LG3, LM1, or SEO IB4,(RPO stands for Regular Production Option)
LG3 was the 5.0 2bbl 305 cu.in V8
LM1 was the 5.7 4bbl 350 cu.in V8 ("high altitude" and California only)
IB4 was the 5.7 4bbl 350 cu.in V8 ("low altitude" Federal law)

2. RPO MX1 three speed auto tranny
3. RPO N41 power steering
4. RPO J50 power brakes
5. SEO 5EK or 5FF (special police service tires)
6. SEO 6C1 heavy service front bench or SEO 6B9 heavy service front buckets
7. SEO 7Z9 Special Police Speedo in 2MPH increments, 120 max. reading, and certified.

There were a host of other available equipment options that could be ordered, from air conditioning, to a windshield antenna. (not listed here due to space)

The following were additional SEO options
6A3 Rubber floor mats
6A4 Single key locking
6A5 sound insulation
6B2 rear door handles inoperative
6B4 spare tire relocation
6B7 hole in roof panel
6C2 heavy duty rear seat
6C3 rear armrests
6C7 extra dome lamp
6C8 antenna cable
6C9 radio conduit
6E2 fleet keyed alike
6E5 roof wiring
6F5 roof reinforcement
6F9 rear compartment ashtray
6H5 electric trunk opener
6L4 R.H side mirror
6L6 cigarette lighter
6Z1 two piece speedo cable
7P4 engine block heater
7W8 Unity spotlight model 225
7W9 R.H and L.H Unity Spotlight model 225
7X4 luggage compartment light
7Y1 underhood lamp
7Y6 door jamb switches inoperative
7Z4 voltmeter,oil pressure, water temp gauges
7Z7 dash mounted radio speaker
8B2 antifrees- 52% ethylene glycol
9A3 speedo gear change
SAB heavy duty rear seat delete-sedan only, recommended for undercover work

Source for this information is the 1978 Chevrolet Police Vehicle Fleet brochure...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Does anyone know if GM had a special VIN for the 9C1's or how (other than options) to identify a 9C1? Did GM reveal how many were produced for each model year? Would be interesting to find a coupe.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is really no way to postively identify a 9C1 via a VIN number only. One could order a Nova sedan or coupe with the engine options noted in my previous post, and that code would have been a part of the VIN. There are no single unique 9C1 VIN codes. A better clue would be to look on the trim tag on the firewall, as the heavy duty vinly seat options, and color, (black or tan) were coded on that tag. The best way to identify a 9C1 is to look for the specific options unique to the 9C1, and indications of police use, i.e. 120 MPH speedo, holes in roof for a lightbar, radio antenna holes, push bumper holes, and of course, build sheets, personal knowledge of the owner, paint schemes, etc. Personally, I can only think of perhaps a dozen or less confirmed, known, 9C1 Novas that have been restored. I'm sure there are more, but, sadly, most of them are long gone. As far as sales figures, from 1974 through 1978, there were about 13,800 9C1 Nova models sold. (Yes, in 1974 when the vehicle was first introduced 11 '74 models were sold to the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department, and three '74 models were sold to Fountain Valley PD.) I don't think I have the breakdown on sedans vs coupes. It took me nearly a long to find mine, so they are out there!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Novajay wrote...

Always thought the 9C1s were sedans, but the price guide says Chevy offered a coupe. Did not know that. Does anyone know how many were made and what years they were offered?
Just today, I spoke with a good friend who worked for Chevrolet and was very involved with the 9C1 Nova. He told me he could not remember even ever seeing a 9C1 Nova coupe, nor could he remember any orders for one. This is not to say none were ever produced; just that if any were made, they were quite few in number, and there was no significant demand for them. So, I guess if you find one, you have a very rare 4th Generation indeed!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Nova9C1 said:
Personally, I can only think of perhaps a dozen or less confirmed, known, 9C1 Novas that have been restored. I'm sure there are more, but, sadly, most of them are long gone.
Probably most of them became movie props where they were propelled thru the air, wrecked, blown up by bombs/gasoline, etc......just look at the old Plymouth Furys and Dodge Monacos....they were big time cop cars, then they became stunt cars destroyed in the movies, now they're nearly extinct.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Suggest you get a copy of the book, Chevrolet Police Cars
by Edwin J. Sanow. They usually can be found at Amazon. Has a lot of info on the 62, 63, 64, Chevy II Police Package. In the book the reference to B01 is that it is a "Police Package Body Equipment" option, and the Z04 is a "Police Package Chassis Equipment" option. These codes were first used in 1963. Nothing more on what specifics those options came with that I could find on a quick search in the book.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts