Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm wondering what to do with the rear end of my Nova, and I think IRS sounds like an interesting thing to do.
Anyone of you guys done IRS on a 1st or 2nd gen?

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
If your going to run any kind of HP then you should plan on replacing alot of U joints with an IRS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allright, thanks :)

Would this TCI 4-link (http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/productdet.cfm?prodID=227) go with IRS?

I'm really n00b at this subject, so please enlighten me on what axel's and stuff to use.

Anyway; I'll go for a 350 sb with EFI, twin turbo's and intercooler. I guess about 700hp will do it for me, this car will be mostly street driven. 5 or 6 speed manual trans, mustang II coil-over front clip, roll cage, mini tub etc.
I want to build a car that turns well, that's why I'm considering IRS. I hope to give the guys in euro and *** cars a little surprise, when I overtake them in the turns and disappear on the straights, hehe!

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Finnis said:
I hope to give the guys in euro and *** cars a little surprise, when I overtake them in the turns and disappear on the straights, hehe!
Headed for the Finnish line?

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Finnis said:
Allright, thanks :)

Would this TCI 4-link (http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/productdet.cfm?prodID=227) go with IRS?

I'm really n00b at this subject, so please enlighten me on what axel's and stuff to use.

Anyway; I'll go for a 350 sb with EFI, twin turbo's and intercooler. I guess about 700hp will do it for me, this car will be mostly street driven. 5 or 6 speed manual trans, mustang II coil-over front clip, roll cage, mini tub etc.
I want to build a car that turns well, that's why I'm considering IRS. I hope to give the guys in euro and *** cars a little surprise, when I overtake them in the turns and disappear on the straights, hehe!
The 4 link kit IS a suspension kit. So is an IRS. So they wont go together.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Irs

My suggestion to you is if you are going to do an IRS rear end than you need to do a full frame setup. To put an IRS in the existing body is a PITA(Pain In The Ass!) You would be better served to go with a truck arm rear suspension and a Wayne Due front clip with C-5(Corvette) suspension, sub frame connectors, and a mini tub for the wider tires you will want in the back if you don't do a full frame. I am doing a full frame since I feel that if you're going to do it do it all the way! Besides, I want a really low profile so a full frame will afford me this. I'm not an engineer, by any means, but I have done some pretty extensive research in this area and I think I can safely say that I can at least start you in the right direction! If you are serious about building this car the first thing you should do is read Herb Adams book on Chassis suspension engineering. It will at least give you a general idea of what the suspension does and why it reacts the way it does. This way, if you need to, you can talk to a suspension tech and know what he is talking about along with forming your own ideas as to what you want out of your suspension. PM me if you want my opinion on anything else!:beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts