Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 70 with a 350 that has a mild cam, edelbrock split manifold and a 600cfm edelbrock carb.

I just had my turbo400 tranny rebuilt with high strength parts and a level 2 shift kit. And, I just put in a posi with 3.36 gears.

So, my question is about squeezing more horses out of my engine. But, I can't afford to replace the whole thing or do a full rebuild.

What would the next steps be to get a nice jump in power?

As always, thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've got a 70 with a 350 that has a mild cam, edelbrock split manifold and a 600cfm edelbrock carb.

I just had my turbo400 tranny rebuilt with high strength parts and a level 2 shift kit. And, I just put in a posi with 3.36 gears.

So, my question is about squeezing more horses out of my engine. But, I can't afford to replace the whole thing or do a full rebuild.

As always, thanks!
you didnt mention any of these, but here's a few things you can do without ripping anything apart: headers, carb spacer, bigger carb, dual exhaust. if you want to go bigger cam, that will give you more, but then you might have to deal with bigger torque converter, and different valve springs. just some things to consider though!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you didnt mention any of these, but here's a few things you can do without ripping anything apart: headers, carb spacer, bigger carb, dual exhaust. if you want to go bigger cam, that will give you more, but then you might have to deal with bigger torque converter, and different valve springs. just some things to consider though!
Thanks! I do have headers / dual exhaust and a small carb spacer.

So, if I went from my 600cfm up to say a 750 that would buy me some more power or would it overwhelm the engine?

A bigger cam / new lifters / springs would also help?

What would make the most difference? The most bang for the buck?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts

As always, thanks!
Bigger cam and new aluminum heads are your best bang for your buck.You could potentally gain 50hp or more.You could also throw a small nitrous kit on there.bm

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks! I do have headers / dual exhaust and a small carb spacer.

So, if I went from my 600cfm up to say a 750 that would buy me some more power or would it overwhelm the engine?

A bigger cam / new lifters / springs would also help?

What would make the most difference? The most bang for the buck?
bigger cam would help. the cam being bigger, your current valve springs might not be able to handle the lift of the cam. depending on the heads you have. like batman said, you could go with different heads, but not too sure on how much you are looking to spend, or what heads you have already on your motor. as for the carb, your motor might like a bigger cfm carb, it might not. depending on how big your cam is now, a 600 might be too small. 700 would probably work fine, or you could get bigger jets in your current carb. your motor might like more cfm though, hence getting a bigger cfm carb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts