Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a fuse box for my 64! All of the wiring under the hood of my car is new and correct but the original dash harness is a rats nest. The previous owner of my car mickey mouse wired everything when it was originally converted it to a V-8 many years ago. I tried to clean up the wiring under the dash but my car still sometimes has electrical issues such as the dash and or tail lights intermittently not working .

When I was recently trying to trace wires under the dash with a wiring diagram, I peeled back some old electrical tape and discovered more hack wiring that was done before I owned the car. I decided that I would be better off installing a new dash harness than to tinker with the existing 54 year old harness!

I was looking at M&H electrical fabricators for a harness, They have one listed for $357.00. Then I saw that American Auto Wire also has a harness on their website with the same part number listed for the same price! Perhaps AAW is simply reselling the harness made by M&H :confused:

Any recommendations before I spend close to $400 (after tax and shipping) on a new harness? I am looking for something that is plug and play

Also any advice on removing and reinstalling the harness? I assume I just unplug all of the electrical connectors and move the wiring till it is out in open on the drivers side of the car and remove the two screws holding in the fuse box to get it out of the car!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed an AAW front light and engine harness under the hood a while back! It was easy to install, cleaned up the wiring under the hood, and cured electrical issues I had at the time! I am looking for the same result with installing a new fuse box!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I was looking at M&H electrical fabricators for a harness, They have one listed for $357.00. Then I saw that American Auto Wire also has a harness on their website with the same part number listed for the same price! Perhaps AAW is simply reselling the harness made by M&H :confused:

Any recommendations before I spend close to $400 (after tax and shipping) on a new harness? I am looking for something that is plug and play

Also any advice on removing and reinstalling the harness? I assume I just unplug all of the electrical connectors and move the wiring till it is out in open on the drivers side of the car and remove the two screws holding in the fuse box to get it out of the car!

I can assure you AAW makes their own harnesses. In fact, they own the tooling to many of the unique GM connectors. Quality stuff for sure. Good luck!

Tim

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I installed an AAW front light and engine harness under the hood a while back! It was easy to install, cleaned up the wiring under the hood, and cured electrical issues I had at the time! I am looking for the same result with installing a new fuse box!
I have a Universal AAW kit for sale for $400 I get it in a raffle for a $1.00 :D

David

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I haven't updated this thread! Yesterday I ripped out the old harness so that I could inspect it on the work bench! I am definitely replacing it with a new one and I am going with AAW!

The only debate in my mind is weather or not to go with the original style or new style with the blade fuses. I am leaning more towards the original style because it appears to be more plug and play! The new style looks like a totally different design that might not simply plug in :confused:

I'm going to order a box Monday or Tuesday so that I could have it to install next weekend!

·
Registered
393 Posts
. I am leaning more towards the original style because it appears to be more plug and play! The new style looks like a totally different design that might not simply plug in :confused: [/QUOTE] Why wouldn't it simply plug in? Its made for YOUR year car,no? I'm sure AAW made it to be plug in .Any doubts, just call them to make sure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It might be the best $450 you will invest in your car.
AAW has awesome/friendly tech and the quality is is good as it gets.
Don't know about the relationship between M&H and AAW but M&H is great as well.
Lastly, I just finished wiring a hotrod for a guy and he brought me a universal kit made buy CenTech. Not the worst stuff but the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rolled thru my mind a couple of times during the installation.
Don't cut any corners.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Wayne Bushy at NNN, plug and play.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds like AAW is the way to go, but if you want something less expensive, Summit makes a nice universal kit for around $200. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, but my car came with the kit in the trunk so I used it. Some of the connectors required are not included, so I had to reuse connectors, and it was a bunch of work, but everything works and the fuse box has the new blade style fuses. Just thought I'd offer another option.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see that the update kit uses a different bulk head connector for the engine and front light harness! My car already a new engine and front light harness and everything under the hood is wired nice and neat at the moment. I wasn't really looking to rewire the whole car, just replace the fuse box. I'm slightly temped to completely rewire the car though as the newer harness is a much better design, However I'm thinking that a replacement harness is more what I am looking for.

The update kit has wiring for a bunch of accessories that my car doesn't have, since my car is going in the direction of a bare bones drag car. (Single Electric Fan, MSD Box, lights and turn signals) AAW has a youtube channel where they install the updated harness on a 2nd gen. The guy talks about it having wires for things like power windows. The newer harness appears to be more ideal for someone building a pro touring LS car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts