Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And then came a 250 from craigslist thats going to be the new powerplant! Excited to entertain the possibility of lighting up tires for the first time ever in the nova...we shall see in the coming months...

First things first...an r/r on bearings seals gaskets rings oil/fuel pump some paint and im entertaining the idea of using my 194 head or sell the whole motor complete.

Behold my extra 56 cu/in....:BDay::stir::woot:

The casting number is 3921968, a 64-76 block. My reference says either 250 or 230.

Isnt the only difference between a 230 and a 250 is stroke? Thats what I read. Picking up Leos Inline 6 Power Manual right now and well see whats up!

Im looking for good places to buy the new parts I need. If anybody has had a good reference Id be glad to hear of them.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I LIKE THE 194 HEAD IT BOOSTS COMPRESSION, BUT THE 230 & 250 GOT THE SAME BORE, SO YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE WITH THIS.
IF YOU'RE GONNA MAKE A 6 FAST, JUS' DO IT! IT COSTS THOUGH

HIT UP TWISTED 6 (LARRY) FOR SOME INFO HE;S A GURU OF 6's

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
142 Posts
You're gonna have the same issue as I do with the dipstick. You kinda have to cheat to check the oil level, but it works. Make sure you rescue the valve cover from the 194 before you get rid of it...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you don't have PS all you have to do is a small mod to the oil pan. And you don't have to worry about relocating the dip stick.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes im getting confused too about the dipstick...The 250 has a rear dipstick, my current 194 has the center dipstick tube that is capped off and right now its anybodys guess how much oil it has. The only way I know that I am low is when I slam on the brakes and the pickup runs dry, my oil pressure drops to almost zero and the oil light comes on.

I do have power steering which I intend to keep so Im hoping this will all bolt right up. The cool part is that I believe this block has the threaded hole for the manual trans z bar thingy (yes thingy) so I can put a standard in there someday.

I do want to make it fast, but for now I just want a little more power so I dont have to drive WOT all the time just to keep up. Ill be very happy if I can just light up even one tire at a stand still!!

Eventually I will build up the 350 but I do love inlines as well and with a bigger 250, I dont think Ill mind driving it for a while like this. I would like the offy or clifford intakes and headers, but well see where I am at when I take the first road test...I dont want a race car just yet...just a little more power:)

63bomb what dipstick issues are you having? Is it by chance trying to read a rear sump pan oil level with a center sump dipstick?

Is their any other reason this wont just bolt right up with all my current accessories and brackets?

Bell housing should be the same,
mounts I have heard are the same?
intake and exhaust manifolds same?
distributor same?

I am not sure what all will fit on the new one, and even then not sure what will work well.

I have Leo Stucattis Inline 6 Power Manual on order and should be here next week. I have heard this is a good book.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the power difference of the 194 to the 250. my wagon had a 194 that ran ok , kind of slow getting up to speed . my vert has a transplanted mid 70's 250 that has TONS of low end torque. the only upgrade i've done on it is a HEI and a turbo muffler. the only upgrade in it's future is a weber 32/36 .

the only thing i miss about a I6 is that V-8 rumble.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
comparing the two that I have ( a 67 and a 73 )

the 67 has a 194
the 73 has a 250

From at what I can tell from the two is :

Exhaust....

Is that exhaust is different, with the 67 it like comes down at an angle and hits down at a 90. Than turns again going under the driver side floor board....

With the 73 it comes down and hits a 90 than than straightens up. And shots under the driver floor board...

Mounts....

The mounts are different with the two. The 67 has what what looks like a short mount ( the one that bolts to the block ).

With the 73, it looks longer with almost a point at the tip....

Dip stick....

The 73 has it after the mount and longer ( closer to the bulkhead/firewall )...
With the 67 has it in the front of the mount on the passenger side and is shorter ( closer to the inner/core support )...

The bell housing, distributor, intake/exhaust, alternator brackets, and the coil, is the same tho...

But I can be wrong....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Difference between the Gens affects the Oilpan and Exhsust.

Leo Santucci is a genius. I read his book cover to cover several times.

Don't bother putting that 194 head without sending it Larry aka Twisted 6. He can turn that head into your biggest boost of hp. then everything else you add will work better.

Look at Langdon / Stovebolt for his cast iron split exhaust and other performance parts online and check out MrHotRod6 on EBay too.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Whatever you do, don't junk any of the engine parts. Stuff like brackets, pullies, waternecks, valve covers and oil pans for a 6 cyl are hard to find. Whatever you don't use can be sold or given to someone that can use them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes yes yes and yes:yes::yes::yes:

This is all good stuff...I really do like the way they sound..little more beefy and choppy.

67nova73 about the exhausts, will the old 194 manifold work? The 250s is cracked and if what you say is true about the degree angles, the 250 one wont work with my current exhaust. I didnt even think to check that yet. I have noticed little things like the mounts were different. I guess I shall find out soon enough:cool:

I say Im going to leave it stock and be content with the extra power now...but knowing me...give me two months before Im justifying dropping chuncks of change into inline cylinder performance!:D

Hey Twisted6, I will PM you about the heads, I am very interested to hear what can be done here to HP gains.

Does anybody have any advice on ordering parts. All I am going to do is bearings (rod/main) gaskets, seals, rings, oil pump and toss er in. Any brand preferences that would give me good performance at a good price? I just want a solid fresh 6. Nothing crazy.....YET:devil::devil:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you unbolt the motor from the Block (194) and same with the 250 Just drop the 250 inbetween the 194's block mounts and You'll be good to go. They both have the same 3 holes in the block.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW thats good stuff right there! What book is this from and how do I get my hands on one of them babies???:devil:

THANKS JOHN!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts