Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title say's. I am having this guy build me a set of header's or actually I WILL have this guy make them. For any of you here local to me he built the header's on Jeff Nasier car. Or least that is what I am told. See what I have is 1 7\8 to 2" with 3" collector. What we are going to go to is some thing like 2 1\8" to a 4" collector. But he need's my block and at least one head. BUT like every one knows my head's are being hand portered and are still at that guy's shop. SOOOOOO I need at least one GM 18* head. It can be blowed up head or better yet it can be a bear casting. I just need some thing he can bolt up to the block. So if any one know's of some who want's to get rid of a crack(BOAT ANCHOR)head let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
That head guy must be using a nail file to port those heads...unbelievable. Seriously, did he give you a date when they would be done?...if not I'd be asking for one. How many months has it been?

There's plenty of good people out there and with the CNC stuff now, it's better anyway. The days of hand porting are numbered for the most part since machines can do it much faster and more accurately. They are only as good as the guy who writes the program.

Good luck with it...you must be a VERY patient man :D

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That head guy must be using a nail file to port those heads...unbelievable. Seriously, did he give you a date when they would be done?...if not I'd be asking for one. How many months has it been?

There's plenty of good people out there and with the CNC stuff now, it's better anyway. The days of hand porting are numbered for the most part since machines can do it much faster and more accurately. They are only as good as the guy who writes the program.

Good luck with it...you must be a VERY patient man :D
Well actually I was talking with Brent(engine builder)today. And he was telling me he was at this guy(guy who has the head's) shop to pick some other head's up. And he said he seen my head's on his work bench and said you could tell that he had been working on the Exhaust port's. But he could not tell what else had been done.
No he did not give me a date on when they would be done. But I did not give him any money as of yet.
As far as CNC goes I have not seen a CNC machine get these kind of number's out of these head's. I am not saying it can't be done just that I have never seen it done.
As far as beeing a patient man......U could say that. Some times to patient my ex wives would say.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
But I did not give him any money as of yet.
the machinist who balanced my rotating assembly was done almost as soon as i was finished writing the check. i'm not sure if you've reached some kind of agreement on this but if i were porting a set of heads i'd take something up front or they'd just sit on my workbench. the last thing I'd want would be for someone to bring me a set of heads for porting and then lose their job or otherwise and not be able (or want) to pay for the heads.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the machinist who balanced my rotating assembly was done almost as soon as i was finished writing the check. i'm not sure if you've reached some kind of agreement on this but if i were porting a set of heads i'd take something up front or they'd just sit on my workbench. the last thing I'd want would be for someone to bring me a set of heads for porting and then lose their job or otherwise and not be able (or want) to pay for the heads.
as far as a agreement goes the only thing that I was lead to beleive is that. I won't being paying what he normally charges other's.:turn:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chad Speier from Speier Racing heads in Kansas ported a set of GM 18° heads for me. Took about 2 weeks. Here is what they flowed on the intakes when he finished.
.200 154.6
.300 224.3
.400 286.1
.500 333.3
.600 367.8
.700 377.0
.800 381.0
.900 381.9
http://www.speierracingheads.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts