Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After complaining how bad my reaction times were last weekend I made a little change this week.

First time trial wasn't great but a little improvement. I staged the usual way, just lighting the staged light. - got an .097.

Second time trial I just lit the staged bulb and then took two bumps in. - went .011 red -close

third time trial I just lit the stage bulb and went one bump in - .072 - so Ok looks like I need about 1.5 bumps.

First elimination run - took my 1.5 bumps - Boom - .004 R/t - Cool! Won crossing the stripe on the brakes. Compeitior ran out.

Second elim run - found out my R/t earned me a bye run if there was an odd number of cars. One guy couldn't get started - looked like I had the bye - at last second he got started. Took a single bump - .075 light to his -.022 red.

Third round - I got the carry over bye run - .046 light - OK!

Fourth round - Lost by 84 ten thousandths of a second. I ran .02 over my dial to his .08, but he got me on the tree - his .014 to my .057.

Anyway, still more fun going rounds.

Temp was up to 95 or so in they lanes so between the temp, the overall DA (over 3,100 at one point) and not staging as shallow, car slowed down by a lot. lowest ET of the day was 11.956 @ 113.05.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
what size front tires do you run and what tire pressure? This can affect your reaction times I think(cuz I can't remember) having a smaller tire(less rollout) will react quicker you get the tire out of the beam faster?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
bumping in

Did you notice you had a slower 60,' and et when you bumped in a little? It helps your reaction time ,but slows your et.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lyn, that is exactly what happened.
RT improved but 60 foot times were higher by a similar amount to the improvment (.030 to .080) with a corresponding increase in ET.

I am running 205 X 70 X 14 front tires ( around 25.6" TALL) with 32psi of air.

Much larger and they will probably rub.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Unfortunately, you're still guessing at the tree...Your average 10/11/12 second footbrake bracket car just can't react quick enough to "see" full yellow. This is why I deepstage, it tightens up my window. This Sunday I was .026, picked up my leave RPM ~200 went -.001, then backed it off 100 and came up .007, then completely missed the tree racing a friend and came up .058:sleep: (it happens:mad:)

I was running 10.30s/.40s deep staged this weekend in 96* heat..

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am flashing from idle, say 1,000 rpm.
With my old setup, over time, I found this to be the quickest, if not the best for R/t.

With the new converter, I guess I need to try a 1,500 or 2,000 foot brake. it will probably tighten up the gap a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NovaCain,
You're right, course Iv'e never claimed to actually be any good at this, only that I have about as much fun as anybody at it. I am trying to stage to leave on the last yellow, produce a good reaction time, and get a decent and consistent ET. When I combine all of that with constantly making changes to the car and changes in the weather and track surface, I'd be the last one to claim that I have mastered it all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts