Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached some pictures. I removed a spacer from between the springs and axle housing that I found ONLY on the drivers side last week. There was no spacer on the passenger side. I put OEM spec shock mounts under my car so I could put the anti-sway bar back on and noticed the shock mount was rubbing the bottom of the wheel, but only on the drivers side. I looked then and noticed the spacer. I'm at a loss for why that spacer was there. I know it was to level the car, because now there's over an inch difference in height. But why? What would cause it? Would it have been done at the factory?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
In your pictures the driver side spring looks to have more arch then the passenger side. You could have a broken leaf on the passenger side or maybe one of the spring packs was replaced, or something like that.. The passenger side spring looks to be flatter if not a somewhat inverted curve from the axle to the forward perch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In your pictures the driver side spring looks to have more arch then the passenger side. You could have a broken leaf on the passenger side or maybe one of the spring packs was replaced, or something like that.. The passenger side spring looks to be flatter if not a somewhat inverted curve from the axle to the forward perch.
I see that now. Wow. Looks like we're buying new springs. I wonder how that would happen. Could a jack do that or would you think impact?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Big one for that is old traction bars that were too short and instead of pushing on the spring eye just pushed on the spring itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where would be a good resource for new ones? I like the stance on the passenger side, but I'm not sure how much it has lowered over the years. The fender sits over the tire just right. I wonder if I should do a slightly lower set. Maybe a 4 leaf?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You can source out new replacements but thing to find some that sit the way you want may not be as easy as ordering a set of 2 inch drop leafs.. I have a spring shop near by that can re arch, de-arch, or rebuild yours, or build a set from scratch.. You can spec the ride height and spring rate..

I had a set of mono leaf springs de-arched 2 inch’s for my 64..

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can source out new replacements but thing to find some that sit the way you want may not be as easy as ordering a set of 2 inch drop leafs.. I have a spring shop near by that can re arch, de-arch, or rebuild yours, or build a set from scratch.. You can spec the ride height and spring rate..

I had a set of mono leaf springs de-arched 2 inch’s for my 64..[/QUOTE

I found a local spring shop. He said he'd level it up for $85. I think I'll go that route.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If you want a spring that sits a little lower and sits just right, Hotchkis 1 1-1/2 dropped rear springs are a nice spring. I run them on my 71 with a 2 inch drop in the front.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I also have Global West control arms, so it might be slightly more than a 2 inch front drop, but you can see how it sits.

Attachments

Reactions: asghert

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want a spring that sits a little lower and sits just right, Hotchkis 1 1-1/2 dropped rear springs are a nice spring. I run them on my 71 with a 2 inch drop in the front.
I like it. Thanks. I'm headed to a spring shop in August. If he can't get it level, I'll be buying new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Springs on my 73 were flat and needed replaced. My mechanic has a place in Ft Wayne that made me a custom set that was actually less expensive than of the shelf.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New Front and Rear Springs

I installed new front springs and had it aligned after the leaf spring guy told me it wasn't the rear. It still had a lean, so I bought new rear leafs and installed them. It no longer leans, but my rear sway bar won't fit anymore. Really confused on that one.

This might be a dumb question. I wondered if the rear springs were a left/right thing and maybe I installed them on the wrong sides? I've heard of other vehicles being that way.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,904 Posts
This might be a dumb question. I wondered if the rear springs were a left/right thing and maybe I installed them on the wrong sides? I've heard of other vehicles being that way.
I don't think that's it. As far as your sway bar it's probably taken a set in the wonky position.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts