Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the texas heat is not helping!

As some of you know my old 400 took a plunge. Crack in the head water in the oil ect. ect. So i went to an engine shop and bought a rebuilt 400 small block.
I spent about 3 days assembling it and dropping it in.

Started it up and adjusted the timing, all the usual stuff and then it ran great. Lot more power than the old worn out one.

THEN IT HAPPENED with only about 20 min on the engine on and off! :mad: I started it up and it started making this pinging noise. So my first thought was Hey timing is advanced. So i turn the engine off retarded it a little then started it again and now it makes a LOUD metal clunking/rattling noise. Almost like something is loose. Noise is coming from under the intake manifold.

I'm on my last straw with this car. :(

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It sucks but when you're about ready to lose it, change your mindset into "I WILL NOT let this beat me, I will not be defeated" it's another challenge to overcome.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You did follow a break in procedure, right? Ran the motor for 20-30 min. @2000rpm.
Well to be honest no but what i do not understand is we only ran it for 15 min and was not 15 min all at once. They were all on and off min. Oh but we did prime the engine until we were getting 45-50 lbs of oil pressure before we fired it up.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You probably don't want to hear it but the on and off a minute or so at a time is probably one of the worse things you can put a new engine through. They need to run a minimum of 20 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm when first started to break in the cam and lifters.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang i didn't know that. Well i kind of did actually but my intentions were to get it timed and running smooth first and then run it at 2000 rpms for 20 min. Guess i messed up huh. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm about to loose IT!
I'm guessing you mean LOSE, but as to your engine, maybe it's time you found someone that knows just a tiny bit about building an engine before your next attempt?? I do my own work because I'm too cheap to pay for it, in your case I think you'd save money having a professional do it for you.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"bowtie" all I'm trying to do is get my nova back on the street and learn at the same time. I guarantee I have less money than you so i know about cheap. I'm just a high school student. My dad is a mechanical engineer and he helped me install it. The engine was already built by some engine shop and we just dropped it in. Its not like I'm a total noob at this stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm guessing you mean LOSE, but as to your engine, maybe it's time you found someone that knows just a tiny bit about building an engine before your next attempt?? I do my own work because I'm too cheap to pay for it, in your case I think you'd save money having a professional do it for you.
Where is the fun in that?... everyone has there own little problems.. thats why there are a million posts requesting help on this site! you gotta love hot rodding!

·
Registered
43 Posts
"bowtie" all I'm trying to do is get my nova back on the street and learn at the same time. I guarantee I have less money than you so i know about cheap. I'm just a high school student. My dad is a mechanical engineer and he helped me install it. The engine was already built by some engine shop and we just dropped it in. Its not like I'm a total noob at this stuff.
Keep your head up bro... tear it apart and see what went wrong. no better way of learning than that

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Dude, before you even take a wrench to this one, go out and buy a book or two. A good one: LINK They will tell you everything you need to know about building a motor. And next time, read the directions that come with the camshaft ;). I guarantee it is no good along with the lifters and bearings and it all has to come apart and be rebuilt.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Why were none of your accessories running in that video?

And yes that sounds terrible:eek: Pull it out and start over.

I would deffinently buy some engine books and read up on them before you attempt your next motor. These cars are easy to work on but there alot of fundemental rules that need to be followed or else stuff like that can happen

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Why were none of your accessories running in that video?
Thats a good question. Did you not put the harmonic balancer and lower pulleys back on? No water circulating did not help matters if you ran it that way for the on and off startup you talked about.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Well to be honest no but what i do not understand is we only ran it for 15 min and was not 15 min all at once. They were all on and off min. Oh but we did prime the engine until we were getting 45-50 lbs of oil pressure before we fired it up.
You did not break your engine in if you did it that way....It must be ran...20-30 minutes at 2000-2200...non stop...after listening to that vid...You need to tare it down....It's ok to stop and start. only a few times...Initial break in must be done right..

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
since you bought the motor complete from the machine shop they assembled it so I would pull it out and take it back. Explain to them that you attempted to break in the cam and then it started making the noise. Sounds like a rod cap or two came loose or maybe the rods hitting the cam or something. ITS BAD FOR SURE!!!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Thats a good question. Did you not put the harmonic balancer and lower pulleys back on? No water circulating did not help matters if you ran it that way for the on and off startup you talked about.
There was no cooling...No fan..no water...that motor should have never been cranked without it...especially for any length of time....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts