Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot figure out what is going on and 5 different mechanics (not really familiar with Novas) have given me different theories.

62 L6 stock car. Running fine until I had some work done on it by a Chevelle mechanic. Now it cuts out whenever it gets up around 62 mph on the highway. Feels similar to water in the fuel. The Chevelle mechanic told me that it had the wrong engine harness on it. (Ran fine with this harness since I put it on in 1993 and 1300 miles ago. I Called Americanautowire.com that manufactures all Nova harnesses, and they said that it is correct with one wire for a stock L6). Mechanic said that the harness should have 2 wires going to the positive side of the coil and since I had the wrong harness, I needed to install a .08 ohm resistor going to the positive side of the coil. (Tried, but no improvement. Americanautowire said the resistance is built in, so there is no need for the .08 ohm unless it has been converted to electronic ignition which it has not). Told by someone else that the points and condenser were going bad (tried and no improvement). Told that it could be the new fuel line wrapping around the valve cover could be boiling and vapor-locking. So I tried a piece of wood to separate it from the engine block. No change.

Now I am out of ideas. It ran fine on the highway just a week before as I was driving it to the mechanic. I took it to him to have him adjust the riding height, the shift linkage, bend a new fuel line from pump to carb, adjust the door locks and an alignment.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you have already checked the easy things like air filter, fuel filter and fuel quality my assumption is that something that was worked on is causing it, as your car was running fine prior to the work. Although random failure is always a possibility.

The fuel system is where I would start.
A new line could have had debris left behind or introduced accidentally and cause some fuel starvation at higher speeds.
I have seen teflon tape used on fittings installed across openings partially blocking flow causing the carburetor to run low on fuel at higher usage.

Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Are you running ethanol in the gas in AZ? The ethanol could be destroying the diaphragm in the fuel pump, so it's not pumping the volume necessary at higher rpm's.
It's an idea.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it back to the mechanic, and after swearing that it had to be electrical, and I stating that the engine harness had been working for over 7 years so it did not make sense to me - he found out that the float in the carburetor had dropped. I kept trying to tell him that it seemed to me to be carburetor because it was the only think he worked on in the engine bay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, we are out of season for driving here in the desert. So the cars are being spiffed up in anticipation for 9 months of road trips beginning September.....

27 New Zealand built Pontiac
31 Buick Opera Coupe
32 Coach
62 Nova Convertible
63 Monza 93
66 Nova "mor-door"
66 Nova SS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.