Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been enjoying the posts thus far and have certainly learned a lot from the experienced members of this page.

I have recently acquired a 1964 Pontiac Acadian Canso. Though I had trouble starting it, the car ran okay with only minor hesitation under heavy acceleration. (As if heavy acceleration is even possible with a little 194). Anyhow, about a week ago it started to backfire, especially when I put my foot into it and if I accelerate too quickly there is absolutely no power and I have to back my foot off of the peddle and then accelerate slowly. I have had the ignition timing adjusted. I also replaced the V-groove plugs with Ac Delcos. After the ignition timing was adjusted it got worse. However since the adjustment the car starts right up no problem and I do not need any choke.

I am curious if it sounds like it might be an ignition timing problem and if so I am wondering what is the correct ignition timing for one of these six cylinders.

Thanks

Simmondj

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Simmondj,
First of all, welcome to the site. Awesome people and incredible amount of knowledge and experience amongst the members here.

I have a 1962 Acadian Shop Manual along with the 1963 Shop Manual Supplement, and within these are the following specifications for a 194;

8 degrees BTDC at 500 rpm (manual or auto.)

And for the distributor if required;
Dwell Cam Angle: 31 to 34 degrees
Point Gap: .019" new, .016 used
Arm Spring Tension: 19 to 23 oz.
Condenser: .18 to .25 MFD

Hope this helps.
We like pictures of peoples cars here by the way......:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 63AKDN

This will help a great deal and I will make the adjustments tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Also I will add some pictures of the car shortly. It is all there, the trim and everything, though the body is not in the best of shape. It is my daily driver now . . . Yikes.

All the best

Simmondj

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Simmongj,
Anyone with an Acadian will tell you that you are lucky to have all of the trim. It's quite difficult to find trim pieces for them. If it's your daily driver you better get yourself a winter beater to help preserve that fine car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car seems to be working great today.

Thanks for the help.

Simmondj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts