Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys may already know, but to make a long story short I am building a small block and it will soon have a pro-charger, which MSD system should I purchase. I plan on driving my car this summer with out the pro-charger on it so does it make a difference which ignition system to run? I dont want to make double purchases if I dont have to. My initial purchase was to be the Pro-billet distributor, 8.5 wires and the 6AL-2. I was told I would need a 7AL system because of the blower, but can you run this system on motor alone? any info from you guys would help Thanks :confused::D

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You may not like my recommendation but the 7531 MSD box is the King Daddy of ignition boxes as far as capabilities, especially for controlling boost, data logging, multiple retards, timing curves, launch control, start retard, slew control (traction control), on and on. I know on our race car we couldn't really run without it and I've had no issues with it. We do run a crank trigger but you can run off a distributor as well.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I would purchase and run a 7 Series ignition. I run a 7AL3 on my naturally aspirated Chevy II Super Gas car and we are currently testing how far we can push a 7AL2 on our blown Pontiac fuel altered until we snuff out the spark kernel and have to go to a magneto. We have run 39 pounds of boost on 50% nitro and have not snuffed out the flame yet. If that gives you any idea on the varied applications a 7 Series ignition will power. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Are you able to run the 7 series boxes without an alternator? I'm currently running two batteries without an alternator, with a Holley Strip Annihilator box, on a crank trigger. It works well at 11-12# boost on alcohol, with a battery charger between rounds, but I want to increase boost to 18-20#, and looking for other options. Either magneto, or CD.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 7AL3 has a ton of capabilities that would benefit me in the long run. You dont think I am over doing it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
As far as street driving goes, I cannot help.

Do you plan on bracket racing this car? I was told By MSD that the 7531 is not legal in the NHRA Sportsman classes, the 7530T is legal.

I am in the process of putting together a Procharged SM block, and I am going to use the 7530T.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Are you able to run the 7 series boxes without an alternator? .
Yes, we run our 7531, 3 kits, RacePak, etc. with one 16v battery and no alternator. We do charge between every round but the RacePak says battery voltage is never below 14.5v at the lowest under full load with the nitrous going etc.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as street driving goes, I cannot help.

Do you plan on bracket racing this car? I was told By MSD that the 7531 is not legal in the NHRA Sportsman classes, the 7530T is legal.

I am in the process of putting together a Procharged SM block, and I am going to use the 7530T.
The car will most likely see more street use than the track, its going to be one of those stock appearing Nova's with the heart or the devil.:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I ran a MSD 7AL2 with both my D1 and F2 for 3 or 4 years on the street. No problems at all. The analog box really has no "features" to speak of compared to the digital boxes. If you end up going with one of the Digital 7 boxes, make sure it has air circulation when used on the street. If you talk with a MSD tech, they will tell you they heat up are not intended for continuous use (longer than 30 minutes at a time). Tons of people use them that way but, just for your info, thought you might want to know. I mounted my 7531 inside the car, away from the firewall. It has room all the way around it. No problems so far.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran a MSD 7AL2 with both my D1 and F2 for 3 or 4 years on the street. No problems at all. The analog box really has no "features" to speak of compared to the digital boxes. If you end up going with one of the Digital 7 boxes, make sure it has air circulation when used on the street. If you talk with a MSD tech, they will tell you they heat up are not intended for continuous use (longer than 30 minutes at a time). Tons of people use them that way but, just for your info, thought you might want to know. I mounted my 7531 inside the car, away from the firewall. It has room all the way around it. No problems so far.
I thought the digital boxes were alittle over doing it as far as my needs were, The 7AL2 is what I was looking at , and the car will definetely see alot of street use I dont street race, I take my races to the track but there some imports around here that need a lesson taught. Real race cars lift the front wheels " They dont power them !!! "

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
had a buddy that ran the MSD6 BTM. it will only designate how much timing to pull per lb of boost (analog). u cant ramp the timing in & out, like the 7531. he went to the 7531 only cause we have bad tracks out here, & being able to pull timing @ the start & bring it back in, helps the car leave in crappy tracks. also if u do the BTM, if the box goes bad & u nd to change it out, send in the knob that goes with it. we think the knob is calibrated to the box. we know this because my buddy change his box, thought he had a ignition box problem, ran the car & popped the motor. after some investigating, we figured out that when we turned the knob & pumped 20lbs of air into the box, it pulled 0 timing. so the boost went up to 26lbs & the timing stayed @ 40-42.... just my $.02....

JOHN

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Are you able to run the 7 series boxes without an alternator? I'm currently running two batteries without an alternator, with a Holley Strip Annihilator box, on a crank trigger. It works well at 11-12# boost on alcohol, with a battery charger between rounds, but I want to increase boost to 18-20#, and looking for other options. Either magneto, or CD.
I presently run one 16v battery on the fuel altered (no alternator).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts