Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '63 wagon with the original 194 straight six and am having some ignition issues. It misses consistantly on each cylinder in a different way. On idle it looks and sounds like an old hit and miss field engine and at speed it surges irratically. I've put in a rebuilt distributor with new rotor and cap, wires and plugs. I thinking it's the cap and rotor because it's so consistantly bad.

Anyone have a similar problem or have an idea on what to do? The only caps and rotors I can find are pretty much the cheapos and right now I don't trust them much.

Thanks for reading!
Craig

·
Registered
89 Posts
ignition issues

did you set the dwell on the dist.? At this point you could throw on another cap and rotor. If it still runs bad ,you might want to do a compression test on each cylinder and compare results for cyl to cyl. that will give you a general condition of the internal health of your engine. i.e. bad rings, blown head gasket ,burnt valves etc. You could also put a vacuum gauge on it, that can point you in the right direction also. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll do a compression check and check the firing order, but I forgot to say that I put the timing light on each plug and saw that they are not firing on every revolution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts