48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to run a new wire for the igintion signal for my starter
whats the best way? not sure were to get the signal from

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have that purple wire connected to the s terminal, , there is another wire that was to the starter before , but the new hi torque doesnt have a r terminal
i have the r terminal wire kit connected from the motor lead to the coil + but without this last wire it wont start, when i conencted it the car fired up but the wire got hot

·
Registered
10,013 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have this already installed but its still not getting the proper signal
im thinking the purple wire isn't sending enough signal
gonna test it tonight

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
If you're not sure about the current capability of your violet wire, add a Ford starter relay in the circuit, the one that has the R terminal on it. This will ensure full voltage to your starter solenoid plus full voltage to your coil during the start cycle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tested the purple wire. 0 volts on ignition. Where does the purple wire go after firewall? Can I just run a new one?

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
The purple wire will only be hot when the key is in the start position. If you follow the schematic diagram it goes from the key to the NSS to the bulkhead connector, then directly to the starter. Put your test light at these various points and turn the key to see if there is power there.

The wire itself is pretty reliable, it's the connections that will cause you problems. You can use your test light to find the bad ones.

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1963/63_Nova_wiring.jpg

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Follow the purple wire on the right side of this wiring schematic. It goes thru the neutral safety switch and then on to the S terminal on the ignition switch. If the nss is not set up or not working you won't get the signal to the starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
progress

ran a new wire from the same terminal on the ignition switch to the r terminal wire and it will attempt to turn over, but as soon as I turn the key back to run it shuts off. so I see on the wire diagram it has to go thru the NSS, I didn't do that, so im assuming that's why it shuts off, so tomorrow ill try to find the NSS and connect it the same way the old wire was connected and see if it works, any thoughts

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
If it starts up but dies when the switch is released you don't have a problem with the NSS. The problem would be in the ignition circuit, the pink wire from the I terminal that goes to the bulkhead connector then to the resistor wire that goes to the coil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts