Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Good one . . . . . seeing is believing . Thanks
at work . . . (fleet of Ford trucks ) . . . we would see that alot - - - Plus, they would bring the trucks in
for "running rough or No power " . . . . . when you would raise the hood & look - - - then rev the
Motor = the rubber 'hose to the air filter box' , would do the same thing . . . . suck completely closed.
The Air Filter element was completely plug - up .

jim

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
It's made worse by the restriction of the hard pipe going into the hose, but it does show the effect well. If the lower hose was fed by a 1-3/4" pipe from a large vessel it probably wouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's made worse by the restriction of the hard pipe going into the hose, but it does show the effect well. If the lower hose was fed by a 1-3/4" pipe from a large vessel it probably wouldn't be happening.
I'm going to second this. If the volume of water going in was matched by what the pump could pull (ie: the ID of the lower radiator hose hooked up directly to a larger vessel or radiator), this wouldn't happen. The lower radiator hose acts as a bellows and collapses under the vacuum of the water pump "over pulling" the source.

I don't have a spring in my lower radiator hose and I've never, ever had this happen.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I concur with the idea that if the flow from the radiator to the lower hose is not restricted there should be no need for a spring in the lower hose. Therefore, if the radiator is full and the lower hose is collapsing, it's an indication of a clog in the radiator, not a problem with the hose. I would consider the collapsing hose as a diagnostic check of the radiator, not the hose.

As a side note, I asked why radiator hose manufacturers stopped putting springs in lower hoses. I was told that when they rust away the pieces get stuck in the water pump, leading to warranty returns on water pumps. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense that pump manufacturers and parts stores would want to protect their profits by asking the hose makers stop putting the springs in, especially if they're not really necessary.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I know, this sounds contrary to what I said about not needing a spring in the lower hose, but several years ago (before thinking this through, and while trying to solve my own cooling system problems) I went to Lowe's and bought a roll of stainless steel wire. I wrapped a length of it around a piece of pipe to make a coil, and stuffed it inside my lower hose. I couldn't find a hose with a spring in it, so I made my own, based on an idea that I learned from one of the smart guys here on SNS.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Gerry

Look here = 1964-77 GM Lower Radiator Spring, 1pc

this was posted here - - in another post, = like just a few days ago = but I did save the link for
down th' road . .
if it's a SS spring . . . that would be even better .
My main reason for saving the link . . . . . . . "I saw that somewhere" . . . . . . then, can never find it
again . We may never need them ; but , I never remember anyway . . . . call it = "old age jim"

any fires - in u'r area ?

later ,
jim

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
768 Posts
Is it just me or is something missing now in the original post? I was never able to see what we're talking about.
I also read the post a couple of days ago about the spring from In Line Tube. Unable to find a hose with a spring already in it.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
and DIFFERENT KINDS of "Stainless Steel" , also .
Good type , better type & True SS . like 309 SS & 304 SS - different types .

I go with 304 SS ; when & if I can find it , for my usage .
I worked in a " SX - EW " plant for 11 years , and around 304 SS everyday .
Our 304 SS stayed in 'cells (vats)' of sulfuric acid 340 days a year ; making
"copper sheets" . . . . tuff stuff .

(Freeport - McMoran Copper & Gold , Bagdad Copper Mine ; SX / EW plant) .

. . jim

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Also very good info :

(the last post by : Big Al . )

either way . . . . you want to FLY . . . . it's your car . (y)

. . jim

·
6,489 Posts
I also read the post a couple of days ago about the spring from In Line Tube. Unable to find a hose with a spring already in it.
Here is an end shot of an NOS radiator hose with the spring inside already for my 68:

This was factory back in 68 and "maybe" the new replacement ones form parts stores are made of a stiffer material and do not need the spring ?.

Jim

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
and DIFFERENT KINDS of "Stainless Steel" , also .
Good type , better type & True SS . like 309 SS & 304 SS - different types .

I go with 304 SS ; when & if I can find it , for my usage .
I worked in a " SX - EW " plant for 11 years , and around 304 SS everyday .
Our 304 SS stayed in 'cells (vats)' of sulfuric acid 340 days a year ; making
"copper sheets" . . . . tuff stuff .

(Freeport - McMoran Copper & Gold , Bagdad Copper Mine ; SX / EW plant) .

. . jim

Not too rob this post . . . . but, it was brought up = Stainless Steel will rust . . . . yes - it will .

Good info about S/S . . . ( many different grades & rust info) .

_Steel_If_With_Magnetic .

good reading . . . . . jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts