Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must start by saying I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense. I don't really know what I am talking about when it comes to cars so I have been known to ask a stupid question from time to time.

That being said, I am looking to strengthen the frame and my cousin suggested I get "sub frame connectors" I searched and found a bunch of different stuff and even came very close to purchasing a set of THESE. I then stopped and decided to come on here and ask.

I plan to put a 383 Stroker in a 1971 Nova (I think it was originally a V6, not too sure if this matters) I have been told I need to make the frame stronger so I don't twist the car. So my questions are,
1. What exactly do I need to do to strengthen the frame?
2. Will the connectors I found work for what I am attempting to do and are they being sold at a good price?
3. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Another thing, every Nova I have seen, besides mine, has wing windows. Mine doesn't, and I want them. Is there some other car that has the same doors as a Nova?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer a bit of advice.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
By adding the subframe connectors, it will strengthen the frame. Right now your frame is basically in two pieces: the front subframe and the rear frame rails. When you put a big motor in the car and stomp on it, you'll get some twisting as there is really no support between the subframe and the rear frame rails. By adding the subframe connectors, you tie the subframe into the rear frame rails..basically making it into a complete frame. It will help alot. The frame rails that you have there are very good. A lot of big name builders use those. The price also seems to be right. You usually won't find DSE stuff much lower than what they offer on their website. If you don't want to cut into your floor (and don't mind spending a bit more money), Hotchkis has a nice set of connectors that fit right under the floor. I'm using the Hotchkis ones on my build.

As for your doors, from what I understood 68-72 cars had vent windows and 73-74 did not. It's possible that someone put 73-74 doors onto your car. You could always find a set of doors from an earlier year and put them on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, I now understand why these are necessary. The floors of my Nova are in need of replacing so cutting them isn't an issue at this point. I found replacement floor pans from Summit for under $70 a piece. Right now my plans are to buy the subframe connectors, floor pans and exhaust system and then get all of that done over the winter. Also, thanks for shedding some light on my window situation. That has had me stumped for months. Anyway thanks again for the help!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Competition Engineering also sells a nice set of bolt-in connectors that I have used. No welding required, but you can weld them in once they are installed for additional strength. JEGS and Summit both sell them for about $125 the last time I checked. He is correct about the doors. I always wanted the 73-74 doors but my hinges are welded in from the factory and I ain't messing with that,lol. You might also check Shermanparts.com for your floorpans ,etc. I use their parts and they are very nice quality and price. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
fyi......the proper way to remove the door is to remove the hinge-pin. Since the hinges are welded to the door and car from the factory, this becomes the only way to seperate them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
fyi......the proper way to remove the door is to remove the hinge-pin. Since the hinges are welded to the door and car from the factory, this becomes the only way to seperate them.

Man now see when I took my car apart I thought that someone had welded the hinges in place so the didnt have to adjust them. Im glad I didnt cut them loose. Besides I can believe how well my doors lined up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it. Now for a question about the doors/windows. Since someone decided to change the doors at some point, if I were to get the vent window assembly and new windows, would I be able to replace the existing windows?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts