Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help here. I've googled and searched this website much to no avail.

I have an edel 1406 Carb. The driver side idle/mix screw works fine when I adjusted it but the passenger side one does nothing when i screw it all the way in or out. I already tried the basic stuff, took the screw out cleaned it with carb cleaner and blew some carb cleaner in the hole and blew it out as well. neither helped. Now what? Take the carb apart? Or maybe I should be more patient and blow a lot of cleaner through the hole and air it out with more pressure? Most forums I've read say there is trash in there somewhere. Is there an easier way to get it out of there with out taking the whole carb off and apart? IDK, thought maybe someone had some jedi mind trick for me to use:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You may also have a vacume leak. Spray some brake clean,carb clean or wd40 around the carb base not inside the carb and around you're vacume lines to see if you're idle changes. Do this outside when the spray burns thru the engine the fumes are toxic. RICK

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you do not find any Vacum leaks You may have something stuck in the metering block.Remove the block and spray cleaner or Air in each hole.If it still doesn't work you may have to replace the block.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah after I reRead it I seen that. Not sure how i missed it the first time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rick. I will try that too. The fact that one side works and the other doesn't, does that eliminate anything? My Nova is a dd so any repairs etc I do have to be completed in a day. I don't have the luxury it starting something and not finishing it in the same day. :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Is the car idleing rough? If there aren't any vacume leaks found you are going to have to rebuild the carb. Check you're fuel filter for debris. RICK

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Try this: Remove the air cleaner assembly. Back both screws almost all the way out. From under the hood run the engine up to approx. 3000 RPM's and with your other hand close the choke plate, until the engine nearly dies. This creates a VERY high vacuum load on the engine and tends to suck small pieces of sludge and debris through the carb. You might have to do this two or three times for it to work. You may still have to disassemble the carb, but it's worth a try before you go there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully if this happens to anyone else, they will get some help with this thread. I did get that side to adjust. I tried one more time spraying Carb cleaner. This time I sprayed a lot and let it sit about a minute. Then i hit the hole with about 80 psi of air pulsing the air on and off a few times. After a minute I could see the hole was free because a little fuel was coming out the top. Screwed the screw back in and fired the car back up and it worked! I could adjust it again. :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts