Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where the best (CHEAPEST) place to buy a (idler arm with bearing installed) For a power steering 64. Or just the bearing by itself.

I hear they can be a PAIN to install on the idler for some reason.

There was a post on how to properly install them on here at one time, but it has been removed for some reason

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Tony,
I'm a novice myself and was able to accomplish the bearing conversion kit. I ordered a new idler arm and the bearing conversion kit from chevy2only and it was a tight (great) fit. I know CPP also sells a bearing conversion kit.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000132a~Z5Z5Z5588~P59.95~~~~S3KN0ZX3V720921818824n~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000132A

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000132a~Z5Z5Z5590~P89.95~~~~S3KN0ZX3V720921818824n~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000132A

Be sure to grind a radius in the idler arm and the centerlink for the greasable zerk fittings as said and illustrated by The Flyer (thank you very much for the tip too)!

I don't have a press so I used a piece of 1-1/2" pipe (a large socket will do) that the old bushing could slide into and a socket that fit just inside idler arm. Set all 3 parts in a bench vise and started turning. The bushing in the centerlink was a little more difficult. I took apart a hack saw, slid the saw through the bushing, and reassembled the blade. Be sure when you're almost through the bushing to NOT DAMAGE the centerlink or the idler arm. Then with your bench vise and some channel locks the bushing is no problem. NOW is the time to grind that little radius in the centerlink and idler arm. If you don't you won't ever be able to grease them and I don't think you could even get the bearings to sit flat like they should. Finally you can assemble the pieces in the correct order and again use your bench vise and a socket to press the bearings into the idler arm and centerlink.

And some more good info:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40573

Oh, and you might need a cheater bar on your vise like I did. Good luck, Rick

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone;
This site has been a (GREAT SITE TO BE ABLE TO COME TO FOR HELP)
I will be ordering the bearing before the week is out. But might not get to install it till sometime later.

Still motorcycle season :yes:

Please keep the info coming as i will still be checking this untill i do the install.
It sounds as if BRENT had a good write up and pics.
WISH IT WAS STILL THERE

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered the idler bearing this past Monday, I should have it by Friday.

Im thinking if it rains here Sunday like the forecast says, i (might) just install it. Talked to a guy at chevy2only that says they did a make over on the bearing about 6-8 months ago. I Hope that it makes the install a little better.

I'LL SEE
Did anyone (buy) and install one, with-in the last 6-8 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts