Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after removing the old idler arm bushings(PIA) installing the kit was easy using the instructions and BThomas's write up! I followed it carefully and packed everything with grease. So I bolted the center link along with the idler arm back in the car. (I haven't installed the new tie rods yet). First thing I noticed is that it appears as if the kit alters the angle of the center link just a little. The center link appears level but when you turn it all the way to the right it just barley hits the passenger side header (not sure if this is normal). Also when I bolted the idler arm bracket to the frame I noticed that there is a little bit of play in the side of the idler arm that bolts to the frame as I can move it up and down just a little bit. I don't know how much play is acceptable. The only thing I could think I could have done wrong is the number of spacers that where installed in-between the bearing inside the idler arm :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Same with mine, no issues. I'm using stock manifolds on my 64. Are you sure you put it together correctly as the angles are a bit confusing when it's on a bench...

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I've got the kit in my 63 and a set of Sanderson headers. 2 1/4" exhaust is the largest I could go with as the clearance is minimal.........2 1/2" and it would be hitting.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...
The only thing I could have made a mistake on the assembly of the kit is the number of spacers inside the idler arm... I looked at it again and the play is not really that bad... when you touch the nut on the idler arm the play is very minor. Of course I just wonder what the alignment guy will say about it. Maybe its just my imagination combined with the fact that the steering box has a little bit of play in it .

as far as the headers go they have been dented by a previous owner for clearance. I don't know the exact size but there old and nothing special...
The idler arm just barley hits it when the wheels are turned all the way to the right.

Nick

·
4,534 Posts
so I guess just don't make any sharp right hand turns:D

I had no clearance issues when I did mine I have a 327 with the summit house headers. Perhaps a sagging engine mount?

Miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts