Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a new problem just arose in my wagon . when in drive the idle rises by roughly 2-300 rpm. i've checked for vacuum leaks , checked the timing and i'm not sure which direction to go from here . it has a small block , edelbrock 600 , HEI ignition , and a 200-r4 trans with no modifications. any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mechanical or cable style throttle linkage? If you've gt the solid rod style linkage your engine may be rocking under load and pulling the throttle open slightly.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mechanical or cable style throttle linkage? If you've gt the solid rod style linkage your engine may be rocking under load and pulling the throttle open slightly.

mechanical . good thought . i never considered this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power brake booster?
this is where i was leaning . i did pull the vacuum feed to the booster and the problem didnt change . the idle does however move when i press on the brake . gonna make a call to CPP today and see if there is a way to test the booster other than the "foot on brake , start engine , if pedal drops the unit is good"

when i do the above test , the pedal drops , but barely . gonna keep plugging away on the culprit.

one thing i did notice is when i removed the vac. line for the vac advance the problem didnt happen .....very weird

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
mechanical . good thought . i never considered this.
we have a winner !! i put on finned valve covers recently and they were just barely touching the throttle linkage , just enough that when the engine moved the least little bit it cracked the throttle open just enough to notice the rpm raise . very much thanks for the direction badbob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts