Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I fix each problem, it seems like 2 more always pop up.

The car wont stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas. If I disconnect the PVC line from the Edelbrock Performer carb, it will stay running. The idle is very rough and the fuel pressure gauge just jumps all over the place at about the same rhythem of the idle.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
What kind of engine and carb are we talking about?What rpm is your idle set at?What is your timing set at?bm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Edelbrock Performer 600cfm

Edelbrock Torker manifold

I dont have a tach....no idea about the RPM

NO idea about timing :(

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
When you say, it smooths out when you disconnect the PCV, does that mean you plug the port on the carb/intake? ...or do you have it opened to the atmosphere?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say, it smooths out when you disconnect the PCV, does that mean you plug the port on the carb/intake? ...or do you have it opened to the atmosphere?
If the PCV is connected to the valve cover breather/valve, it want to die if im not giving it gas. If I disconnect the hose so the fitting on the carb is just open, the engine will run.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If I remember right the Torker is a low rise single plane manifold which hurts Idle quality, but assuming you tune it correctly it really shouldn't be a problem. The pcv should be hooked to a vacume source the draws evenly from the plenum, not a single runner. Usually advancing the timing will help idle quality as will raising idle speed. You might also check the dwell setting, that you didn't cross any ignition wires when swapping the manifold, and make sure you have no vacume leaks. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If opening the pcv line to atmosphere helps Idle you are probably too rich and to slow on idle speed.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
If the PCV is connected to the valve cover breather/valve, it want to die if im not giving it gas. If I disconnect the hose so the fitting on the carb is just open, the engine will run.
Have you checked your PCV to make sure it is operating properly? Try to blow through it both ways. It should work one way and not the other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts