Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ive forgotten almost all i learned 8 years ago after an assignment in korea and germany. Im finally back in the states and trying finish putting my car 1973 Nova) back together. I have an MSD 6AL box, MSD distributor and coil. Odly enough the car runs great when it finally gets started, timing is good. but it takes 20 minutes and starting fluid assistance. I sounds as though there is something with the starter going on, like its staying enguaged and stopping the flywheel. So i was going to throw some shims under it to see if it made a difference. As im doing this im disconnecting the leads from the starter and it seems as though something didnt look right. So here is what i had. the positive from the 6AL were going to the top center post on the stock starter. The negative is grounded to the block. The wires from the 6al are hooked up to the pro billet distributor. And the wires from the 6al to the blaster 2 coil. I also have a wire from the alternater and the starter fused to the starter relay, (he post on the junction box right behind the brake booster). Lastly from the fuse panel i have a wire going to the three oclock post of the starter. That is if your looking at the car from the front bumper back.

Do i make sense and does anything jump out at you as ........duh??

Thanks for the time and have a good one.

Trenton

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
If I am reading this correctly, the starter bypass terminal on the starter only has 12v when the car is cranking and nothing when you back off of the key.That circuit is intended to keep the coil + hot when cranking because the ignition switch does not.When you release the key then the wire from the ignition switch has 12v.MSD has a cool APP for I phones with all the instructions and wiring diagrams that I have found to be lots of help.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I like to keep the MSD separate from the rest of the car. I run the MSD directly to the battery so it has full voltage and is not affected by starting the car. Run the other red wire to a key on source out of the fuse block. The orange and black go to the coil, along with the purple and green to the distributor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts