Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has any one put one of the ididit columns in? do you have to cut the shaft on the steering box?i thought it was supposed to be easy install

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
column

ill have to call ididit tomorrow then because if you butt the steering column shaft flush with the steering box shaft the shifter linkage hits the firewall
this is a column shift column. any one have a picture?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
column

well it figures tech is off work today. only day i get to install. has anyone else had any issues on the ididit column shift column?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ididit column shift columns say they are retrofit and need no modifications.
well dont believe that:no:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
first of all they send all column shifts out with a straight lever which hits the firewall. then i had to shim the column mount down so it wouldnt hit the dash
and trim a inch off the mount. today they sent a dog leg for the lever which works fine now. they shouldnt call it retrofit if you have to shim and cut

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know if that is how they send all of them out or was it possible that the wrong arm was installed?
the tech guy said they were sending them out like that. it had him confused:rolleyes:it is a really nice column but its frustrating when
things like this happen.i told them about having to shim the column down
and cutting the mount off and he said he didnt know what to tell me. and also the plastic collar that covers the mount will have to be cut and modified. this doesnt sound like a retrofit to me

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Doesnt sound like one to me either

and Im about to purchase one of those for my 66. I wonder if they have the same issue. Even though the lower mount is different.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is your column a floor shift or a column shift. The issue is with the column shift model? All the floor shift models that we have installed have been a perfect fit.
its a column shift. ive looked at the foor shift and it is different. the shifter colar hit the dash without shims and cutting the mount. maybe i got one that was made on monday. i dont know but ididit didnt have any answers for me.so i made it work. when i asked had they had any complaints the rep said not that he knew but most people just make it work:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts