Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,697 Posts
find you a magnifying glass - - and "determine" what the " R84? ? " , number is . look here = = maybe - R8479 . . . . ?
That number IS the carb Model number

jim

· Registered
2,409 Posts
R84015-34011800

3457 - 345th day of 1987.
4011 - Spreadbore
800 CFMs

4010/4011s were built for a short time from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. 4010 is the squarebore, 4011 is the spreadbore.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Sure does look like that carb was over-stamped... Like someone was trying to use it for a numbers-matching installation. Look closely and you can see artifact stamps beneath the more prevalent newer stampings... Its' highly suspect...
Organism Wood Font Automotive tire Grass

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Sure does look like that carb was over-stamped... Like someone was trying to use it for a numbers-matching installation. Look closely and you can see artifact stamps beneath the more prevalent newer stampings... Its' highly suspect...
View attachment 451579
These carbs were aftermarket only for street use. I think they were meant to compete with the reintroduced Carter AFB.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
These carbs were aftermarket only for street use. I think they were meant to compete with the reintroduced Carter AFB.
Regardless, the overstamping of dissimilar numbers/letters is perplexing... no?!?

· Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,697 Posts
well =

the only carb listing, showing = R84 ? ? : is there , as in # R8401 - - or R8491 - - or - - yes, show us a picture of the complete carb. Like , does it have two 'metering Blocks' ?

My Holley is listed there : R8007 - it's the 390cfm , 4160 type = and has only one metering block & vac secondary .

So, a good picture could get us closer - - : like 'dual feed lines' ; dual metering blocks = makes it a 4150 style carb . . . ect , ect . - - with "choke horn" / without choke ? ?
auto type choke ; manual choke ? ? Which Dia or 'Pump' ( 30cc or 50cc ) .

Pic's of both sides ; & top & bottom .

jim

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I do believe its a 4011 800cfm after doing more research. Spread bore, manual choke and the gaskets look correct. Apparently it was on a built 454 so the 800cfm makes sense

Are these any good?
Better than a Zenith or Stromberg.. LOL

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Nothing wrong with that 4011, it can be tuned up like most other Holley's. If it's in decent shape, rebuild it and use it if it fits your application and manifold. The staggered size throttle bores helps with cruise mileage.

Incidentally, the carb Summit sells as their own brand (Summit M2008 series) is just a rehash of the 4010 series Holley with a few adjustments made easier.
So you know where to look for tuning parts and gaskets.
The design is a little more sensitive to always needing clean fuel, make sure you use a good filter so the carb bowls stay clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts