Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Nova Enthusiasts.
I'm 1.5 years into my 69 Nova restoration. Hope to be done by summer 2023. I've been bagging and tagging every nut, bolt and part so far. Also photographing some parts that I need to refer to upon reassembly. Linkages are a good example of photos I have taken. I was in the car yesterday and in the backseat area, I moved my shop vac and underneath were four screws with washers that don't come off the screws. They weren't bagged and tagged like I have done with everything else. I don't remember where I removed them from. I'm in the process of putting the car back together. I'm at the interior firewall adding Dynamat then a new firewall insulation pad. I think these screws/washers went somewhere on the firewall. I removed the old heater and am replacing with a Classic Air conditioning system. Maybe these screws held something in the old heater assembly and I figured why bag them if I don't need them? Anyway since I'm doing the firewall, I don't want to find out later that I needed these before buttoning up my firewall work. I searched my 69 Nova Factory Assembly Instruction Manual to try to locate these screws. No luck. Here's some pictures...
Motor vehicle Font Poster Material property Rectangle

Font Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal Fashion accessory

Motor vehicle Calipers Measuring instrument Gas Gauge

Font Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Calipers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two places come to mind. They look like the screws that would hold down insulation under the dash in the steering column area, and the second spot is the the 2 bolts that secure the back seat upper half to the rear firewall at the bottom. Look between the rear seat belt mounts on the floor and you'll see a small hole on both sides, that is where the upper rear seat is secured. Most likely they are for the insulation under the dash, since you have four bolts.

View attachment 445117
I hope this helps.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin! They do go on the steering column cover. I can clearly see the impression in the old paint where they fit perfectly. There’s a rubber gasket sandwiched between the steering wheel cover and the firewall and the screws hold the cover in place. Why I didn’t bag n tag those screws is a mystery. Thankfully they are the only screws that were not bagged and tagged. I’m glass bead cleaning the cover and spray painting with satin black like I have done with all my parts that should be satin black. The screws will be dipped in vinegar then wire wheel cleaned and sprayed with WD40, like the rest of my nuts and bolts.
Yes it’s time consuming but it will go together easier and look way better.
Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle Automotive tire

1 - 2 of 2 Posts